icon

is the customized box worth it?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bmur45 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
I bought 2 10" diamond cm3 off this guy and he was telling me that he can give me a prefab box for free or he can custom build a box for me to match the specs of my amplifier or subwoofers so that the subs will play 10x better than just any ordinary box.  Is this true or should i just go with the prefab (ordinary box)? By the way the guy said he would be using a program called Leep or Leap to customize the box, is it worth it?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, if "the guy" knows what he's doing it is true and yes it is worth it.
Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
Yup, definitely if the builder knows what he is doing. Good bass response is all about the box.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jt824 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2006 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  
I had 2 Kicker L7's in a poorly made box and it adversely affected the performance of the speaker.  When I switched to Arc Audio the installer pointed out several flaws in the old box.  It was suppose to be sealed but it had several leaks.  First the cuts of the wood were not even square.  Looked like the pieces were cut with a jig saw.  The hole for the sub itself was not sealed.  The seams were leaking like crazy.  You might consider having the installer play the sub before the box is mounted to its final location so that you can personally check and make sure it is sealed properly and no air is leaking......
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 14, 2006 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  

^^^ True, but leaks are the most obvious and amaturish conditions that make a box a poor box.  Getting past that, the biggest killer of good sound is using a bandpass or vented box that is premade for a variety of uses.  Chances are close to 100% that it will have a negative effect on the sound of your sub.  Those must be custom-made by a pro who knows not only how to design and build such a box but also has a good sense of the abilities of the particular subwoofer.

The other great killer of sound is wrong air volume in the enclosure for the sub being used.  While a 1.25, for example, may work well in a sealed box for one sub, it will make a sub sound less than it should with another.....even if both manufacturers recommend that box size!  Because consider this:  if you were producing a product that you hope to appeal to a large group of buyers of every level of competence,  how would you market your subwoorer?  You would say to put it in a box that has a size that is easily found in prefab choices.  Or that has a size that fits most vehicle applications.  It may work out to be the best solution or it may not.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic