icon

Preffered firing direction of sub box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mech3 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

I was wondering what is the preffered direction of the members of this forum for the sub to fire. I'm sure it depends on the install, but what I am wondering does the traditional rear firing box the most common, do some prefer the speaker firing up towards the roof of the trunk / car, or do you prefer a box built in a side compartment (like the area between the top of the wheel well and the rear of the trunk). I am wondering what has given you the best performance, as i'm sure it is also dependant on what type of vehicle its in.

Thanks

kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
Is this going in a sealed trunk vehicle, or a vehicle such as a hatchback or a truck? I know that makes a world of difference. Or is this a non specific question you just want people opinions on?
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
Most people have their subs facing towards the rear. When you install your sub(s), experiment with facing them different ways and figure out which way sounds best to you.
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  

This is the article I've seen referenced in a few different places regarding this topic:  http://www.inhttp://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html.  This is for trunked cars and one suv, and did a forward and backward-facing but I wish he would have done up-facing as well as that is what I'm most curious about.

Not to hijack the thread but for you of those out there with experience what do you prefer in SUV's because I'm about to mount my subs and port facing upwards in my cherokee (due to aesthetics and size constraints) unless people have had significantly better results with rear facing. Any opinions?  Oh yeah, can't try both because the box I build is going to be a tight fit.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 14, 2006 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
Excessive wear and tear on the subwoofer structure due to gravity.  Personally, I would look at up- or down-firing as a last resort even if the sag calculator shows it to be within tolerance.  And BTW, I have a sub firing to the side in the trunk of my car.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
zhalverson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2006 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart, could you explain this a little more for me?  How does the gravity make more wear and tear on the subwoofer?  Would it be that, say if it's upfiring, you would have the down force of the motor plus that of gravity taxing the suspension more?  What kind of decrease in lifespan is normal?  If this is a big deal I'm going to have to redesign my box, DANG!Preffered firing direction of sub box -- posted image.

kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2006 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
I had upfiring in my old setup in my blazer, I liked it alot because the space it took up was significantly less, and I think it sounded a tid better. Umm until it got stolen, watch out for that. Kinnnda easy to see you got good equipment with it aiming up. Now i run down sealed and couldnt be happier.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
zhalverson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2006 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, i though about the theft thing.  My rear windows and hatch are quite tinted and hard to see into.  The box will fit level with the rear seat and will take up the entire back area, and with the subs black and a dark colored box I think it will be pretty inconspicuous.  No stickers, competely stock jeep. I live in mostly rural Iowa and go to school in Bozeman, Montana so you could say the crime rate is pretty low.Preffered firing direction of sub box -- posted image.
littleducky 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2006 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
i drive a 99 astro van i found it to sound better facing the rear..i took out the second back seat and replaced it with my box to allow more room and better sound
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2006 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
I've currently got a down-firing sealed box in my Grand Cherokee, but I'll be building a new box sometime this summer - I'm thinking of making a ported box. Probally will have the sub facing down, and the port either facing down also, or facing out the back - It may get complicated because I also want to mount the amp on the box and run the cables thru the box (no cables exposed from the outside at all - will look really clean if I do it right)
Good luck eitherway
-Drew

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic