vent routing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
atxz06 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all... first time poster.
I'm building a vented enclosure for a JL 13w7. I'm using the 2.375 ft^3 enclosure size recommended by JL for a vented enclosure. However, the box is irregularly shaped and I'm substituting the port size with a 3" x 8.5" vent.
I have two choices for vent routing. The first would place a 90 degree bend and a 180 degree bend in the vent. The 180 bend would share a common wall and be separated by 3/4" mdf. The second vent only requires a single 90, BUT would force me to have the enclosure extend an additional two inches into my cabin (an 06 z06. space is already at a premium).
Will the vent with the tight 180 degree bend cause any performance degredation? If so, how much? If it's significant, I will sacrifice some additional cabin room. If the signifcance is small, I'd prefer to keep the enclosure small.
Thanks,
Jay
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I need to know this exact same information as I'm about ready to build a box and have the same predicament.  I know the less corners the better but I'm not sure how big of a deal it is.  Another thing I i think is beneficial is putting a piece of wood in the 90 degree corners (cut at 45's) to sort of round it out and also rounding the edges on the dividers and openings.  Anyone on the original question though?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

Your new slot opening is 18% smaller than the recommended opening (using my fingers to figure that out).  Check your input wattage and subsequent port noise.

Port bends are sometimes necessary.  You are doing the right thing by trying to design them to a minimum.  That is all that can be asked.  I would look at the maximum length that the port could get with just the one double 90 bend and enlarge the port opening to the point where that length would be achieved but not surpassed (you know a larger opening demands a longer length).  The larger port diameter would help to make up for the restricted air flow in the "kissyourbehind" turn.  But I don't know of any studies in this.

By reducing the recommended port opening already, you are setting yourself up for not only port noise but restriction in the port.  In the end, it may not be noticeable.  But how will you know it wouldn't sound better with a bigger opening?  Err to the side of reason.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
gamfreak 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  
Hey stevdart wat is the most amount of 90 degree bend can you afford to put in a box and wat is a 1 double 90 bend
I am new to this kinda thing so any suggestin can be greatly appreciated

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic