icon

many devices of one 12v Constant

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigman17 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you very much for explaining all that, it helped tremendously! I just have a coulpe more quesitons:

1) I made a mistake the tilt sensor does have a 1 amp fuse on it, is it alright to still tap into the brains power after the brains fuse?

2) I am going to need one more relay for the GM VATS bypass, where should I get the 12v fused for this one?

3) Although I can get power to my accesories by using the alarms fuses Im still going to have to make 3 direct connections to the 12v constants in the ignition harness.  The diagrams for my car didnt show it but I found 2 12v constants. Here are the wires that need to be connected, my question is what size fuses should I use for these for these connections: 

A) Brains power                                          B) XRC first 12v power input                                        C) XRC second 12v power input

A and B I plan to connect the first 12v in my ignition harness and C I plan to connect the second 12v in my ignition harness. Thanks again.

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
1. Since it has it's own fuse put it inline, but before the fuse to the brain.
2. You can power this relay from the XCR as well, after the fuse to the brain.
3. Do not change the value of the 30amp fuses that are currently inline, they are sufficient to power what you need.
Make sure the wire you are connecting the 3rd connection to is strong enough to handle the load you will be putting on it. Make sure that it is indeed a constant hot that is of ample gauge and supplies the ignition switch, not another device.
Hope this helps
bigman17 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

The instructions say those fuses are just to protect the unit it self and every time a 12v from the car is taped to fuse it accordingly.

The second 12v constant i found was tied with the other ignition wires and is the same guage and is indeed a constant but I do not know what it does. Would is be safer just not to connect that second 12v input on the XRC? Thanks

Twelvoltz 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
bigman17 wrote:
The instructions say those fuses are just to protect the unit it self and every time a 12v from the car is taped to fuse it accordingly.
Understood, and if you really want to, you can provide a seperate fuse for each device you are adding, this is the absolute best way to do it! I am just explaining how I do it (as well as how I was tought to do it). If the device had a large current draw, or it's own fuse then I would definately not use the 30amp fuses that are included, however in your case you do not really have a need to add all of those fuse holders and extra fuses.
bigman17 wrote:
The second 12v constant i found was tied with the other ignition wires and is the same guage and is indeed a constant but I do not know what it does. Would is be safer just not to connect that second 12v input on the XRC? Thanks
If it is in the ignition harness, it is probably ok. However if you cannot verify it indeed supplies the ignition switch, I would not use it.
bigman17 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah im not sure what that second wire does so im just not going to use it.  Do I need to connect that second 12v input from the XRC to something or is it optional?       And just to be safe and because I have a lot of inline fuses i am going to fuse that     A) Brains power      and      B) XRC first 12v power input ,  what size fuse should I use for each one or can I just connect both wires to one fuse(size?). Thanks a lot for your time.

O and I was just curious why does the trunk release need a relay but the parkling lights do not?

Twelvoltz 
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
You need the second input to the XCR, it is mandatory.
The Brain and XCR fuses are included in the system and do not need their value changed, what you are adding to these feeds will not exceed what they supply.
The relay for the parking lights in built into the unit.
bigman17 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

So just connect both 12v inputs on the XCR to the same 12v source?

Twelvoltz wrote:
The Brain and XCR fuses are included in the system and do not need their value changed, what you are adding to these feeds will not exceed what they supply.

I mean the fuses i want to put within 12 inches of tapping the 12 volt source(for brain, 2 XCR wires) what size fuses should I use and can I connect all three to one fuse? Thanks

bigman17 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
I just looked at the manual and there is a THIRD 12v constant to the XCR? RED / white
Twelvoltz 
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
The three large wires going to the XCR currently have fuses in them. If you want to be as safe as possible, move the fuseholders closer to where you are tapping into the ignition harness, or add additional fuses right at the ignition harness the same value as what is currently inline now. The older DEI pieces also had 3 supplies into the XCR, but the RED / white was jumpered to one of the reds at the XCR itself. Hook all to the constant hot of the vehicle.
bigman17 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
Alright thank you very much for your help Twelvoltz.  Hopefully all goes smooth when I install it Saturday morning.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic