Box, 2002 Ford F-250?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2006 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
Hi all,
It's been a while since I've posted to these forums, but I've been away on other, much more pressing matters. ;-) (college)
Anyway, a friend of mine is putting in a subwoofer into his 2002 Ford F-250 truck and he wanted me to help him out. It's been a while since I've done anything like this... so I wanted to double check my figures before we went around spending money. For those interested, here's the scenario:
1) My friend does not want to spend a lot of money on this system. He simply wants a small, 10" sub and a box design he can build himself. He will be mounting the amp and sub inside the back of his truck underneath a shelf he has built.
2) The sub will fire down as it will be mounted upside down on the underside of the shelf. This presents a few problems, namely;
a) The shelf is not very high off the ground and there is stuff stored underneath it, therefore, height of the box is an issue.
b) The shelf itself is only 14.5" wide mountable space (bracket bars take up the other 1.5 inches on each side). Therefore, the sub box must be no more then 13" deep so that he has some space between the box and the bars.
c) This is a design he will be building himself with limited tools, so complicated box designs are out of the question.
Basically, all I want here is a small, sealed box with a single woofer. The amplifier will be mounted alongside the box on the underside of the shelf. Here is where I was hoping you guys could help me out.
Can ya'll take a look at this setup and tell me if its going to explode on me? I realize Legacy woofers are not the top-of-the-line speakers that many of you would have chose, but as long as it works, it's all he cares about. We're trying to keep the total project cost under $100. Here's what I have so far:
Subwoofer:
Type: Legacy LPW1099 10" Predator Series
RMS: 500W
Peak: 1000W
Ohms: 4Ω Stable
Mounting Depth: 4.33"
Fs(hz): 39hz
Qms: 2.09
Qes: 0.91
Qts: 0.63
Vas(cu.ft.): 1.781
Amplifier:
Type: Lanzar VIBE238 2 channel MOSFET
Total Output: 1x800 watts @ 4 Ω
If you could take a look at the parameters and let me know a reasonable box size (dimensions), it would be fantastic.
One last thing! My friend wants to be able to integrate this into his existing stock system before he upgrades the CD player and such. Therefore, I'm pretty sure he'll need to cut into the line levels of the stereo. What do I need to do to go about this? Does anybody have any clues?
Again, any tips, tricks, clues, suggestions, complaints or flames are most welcome. Please just direct them in a constructive, helpful manner and I'll do my best to pass along the good ideas. Thanks again, everybody. Hope to hear from you soon. =)
--mindctrl
bassplayer24_7 
Copper - Posts: 40
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2006 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
what are the max dimensions of the space where the enclosure will fit, WxHxD
(2) 12" JL W3V3
(1) 6" JL W0
Phoenix Gold Octane R 8.0:1
Phoenix Gold Octane R 2.0:1
Phoenix Gold Octane R 5.0:4
Clarion Crossover
JVC Head Unit
mindctrl 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
As I said before... Width of box can be no more then 13", Depth of the box is not as much of a concern, but the height of the box should be no more then 8".
-----------------------
|                      | /\
|                      | |
|                      | 13"
|     <8" tall        | |
|                      | \/
-----------------------
< - - - ?? - - - - - >
Crude, I know, but maybe it will help you get an idea. Thanks again.
--mindctrl
bassplayer24_7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
8" in total height? that might be hard to do.
i believe you need an inch between the magnet and the box.
so a mounting depth of 4.33" + 1"(space between magnet and wood) + 1.5"(wood, top and bottom)= 6.83"
which would only leave the sub 1" off the ground (roughly)
another thing thats possible is using 1/2" MDF instead of 3/4" which will shave a 1/2" off your total height.
(2) 12" JL W3V3
(1) 6" JL W0
Clarion Crossover
JVC Head Unit
mindctrl 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
Well, he's actually got a couple feet between the shelf and the floor but he would like to conserve as much of it as possible, so I'm trying to keep the height down as much as possible.
bassplayer24_7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
ok, how much airspace does the speaker need.
(2) 12" JL W3V3
(1) 6" JL W0
Clarion Crossover
JVC Head Unit
mindctrl 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

Actually, thats what I was hoping you could help me out with... I am planning on making a sealed box.

bassplayer24_7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
i did some research online and couldn't find any detailed specs on the subs. as a rule of thumb that i've always heard without any other information is 1 cu ft for a 10" sub and 1.5 cu ft for a 12" sub. just as rought numbers.
(2) 12" JL W3V3
(1) 6" JL W0
Clarion Crossover
JVC Head Unit

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic