icon

Custom steering wheel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
miamistyle84 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2006 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
How do you make a custom steering wheel? I wanted to wrap a steering wheel in ostrich skin. Does anyone know how to do that or have a link?
Money didnt change me,Money changed the way people think about me!!
danieljaluise 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2006 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
I would start with a steering wheel that is the size and shape that you want. Assuming you know a place to get ostrich skin, anyone with basic sewing skills would be able to pull it off in an hour or two, it's just a matter of stretching it tight and stitching it together. Ostrich skin might be tricky to stretch if it tears easily, I'm not sure of its durability compared to leather.
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
when u do leather u have to make sure its wet when u sew it, u have to let it soak for awhile, that way once it dries it will shrink and will make a nice tight wrapping job.
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  

Myself, Im not clear on your overall question.  Are you wanting to know how to shape and fabricate a custom made steering wheel?  ....or just how to cover a wheel that already exists?  I leave upholstery up to the people that are in the market for that, but fabrication I can help you with.  Let us know....

JD

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 2:36 AM / IP Logged  

I do not have a link on how to work with this stuff, but it work SIMILAR to leather, but not quite...

See ostrich skin is much stronger than leather and much more pliable... combine that with its unique design and qualities, this makes ostrich leather some of the most expensive stuff out there. The natural oils present in the skin resist drying, cracking, and stiffness.

Sorry placid warrior, but this is one of those skins you do not want to soak unless it is cured and sealed properly. It is extremely durable material and will not tear easily.

For sewing use a VERY strong thread that has very little give and stretch to it. Stitch it with strong heavy needles. (you'll go through a couple of these unless you have the really, really good needles)

It does not stretch easily, so you will want to make it a bit snug. If you are not sure about it, look for someone with skills specific to working leather.

It's fairly easy to work with, but because of its cost, it is best to have it done by a professional.

To get leather from the leg (good quality, not premium) expect around $50 for a piece. If you want the skin from the body, expect around $300 for a decent quality skein of ostrich leather.

If you get the skin from the body, many places cut the quill bases off, but that tends to make the skin weaker (unless you get it from a good leather tanning place)

So get a good leather worker to make the cover, use a VERY strong thread (to keep it tight properly) and do not forget to properly cure and seal the leather after it is installed.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic