icon

In-line fuse blows

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
duscott21 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  

I recently switched out amps and subs from a Rockford 500.2 and two 12" HE2's to an Audiobahn rack mount 2 channel amplifier that runs 800 watts rms at a 1 ohm mono load on two Memphis 12" HPO subs that pull 400 watts RMS each.

The system ran fine when hooked up at first, but after several minutes of playing at a pretty high level the in-line fuse blows. It was only a 40 amp fuse so I thought with the more power being added that I may need a bigger fuse. I tried a 60 amp fuse and it blew shortly afterwards as well. I never blew a single fuse when it was the Rockford amp and subs. I'm assuming that it could be that I need to upgrade the power and ground wires from 8 ga to 4 ga, but would this cause the fuse to blow? Just trying to solve this mess.

The subs are wired correctly-dual 4 ohm wired parallel to make a 1 ohm load and the amp is 1 ohm stable according Audiobahn specs. HELP!!!!!

Thanks!

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
add up the fuses in the amp and this is the size fuse or a little bigger you'll need. You half to upgrade your wiring to a minimum of 4 gauge using a quallity wire.
gregory863 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
are u using agu fuses?? the old ones where fine but the new ones suck.   try a blade fuse and fuseholder
I can eat fifty eggs
duscott21 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
I know that I need to upgrade to the 4 gauge wire. I did not know that the in line fuse needed to be at or above the fuse rating on the amplifier. Good to know. The amp has three 25 amp fuses, so essentially I would need at least a 75 amp fuse correct? I am using the round AGU fuses, not the wafer style. Should this be changed as well?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
Fuse to protect the wire, not the amps.  This means choose a wire guage that can support the amps you are using and then fuse the wire at about 80% of its rated capacity.  If this is not enough current for the amps, you must go up in wire guage size.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic