icon

HU overheats?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TeddyKGB 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
A friend of mine just bought a used S-10 and it came with a pioneer HU. He keeps sayign that after awhile it will stop playing CDs and says HEAT on the display and won't do anything for about 35 minutes. I don't have the model number but with just that info is there any way to make a diagnosis of the problem?
2 Diamond Audio D3 12s
Hifonics ZXi1006 amp
MB quarts all around and a Panasonic up front.        You wanted to know don't lie...
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

Try giving it some Gatorade, that'll help its performance.

What kind of weather is this in? I mean if it is severely hot outside I have had this occur on cheap CDs. (They'll get so hot that they become unreadable until they simmer down.)

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
Heat is a natural byproduct of power. The longer you play something, the more heat that is generated. The louder you play something, the more heat that there is generated. Combine these two factors and you are asking for problems, especially on a hot day in a dark colored vehicle. The issue is simple, the thing is trying to cook itself to death and the protection circuit is shutting it down. I'm going to assume that you are using the built in amp to run front and rear speakers? Turn down the volume, let the thing cool down every now and then, or cut a big hole in the top of the dash for all the trapped hot air to escape.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
I would cut the hole in the dash and post some pictures too...HU overheats? -- posted image.
TeddyKGB 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  

This is one of ym friends and I'm pretty sure he's cranking the thing for long periods of time, and that's what I told him to stop doing but he doesn't listen. Atleast now I know it just is him being a moron.

2 Diamond Audio D3 12s
Hifonics ZXi1006 amp
MB quarts all around and a Panasonic up front.        You wanted to know don't lie...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic