icon

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX premium sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffamc 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

Im having trouble finding out which of my factory wires are positive and negative. I looked at a diagram on this web site of my car but my factory wires are different colors. I have tried going to the Ford dealership but they were no help, they printed me a diagram that shows the right colors of the wires but not which are positve and neg. I bought 4 new speakers, a sony xplod 1200w amp, and a sony xplod HU. I have had all that for like 3 weeks and have not had a carpet or passenger seat in my car for 3 weeks. Can anyone help me and tell me if they know if the wires are positive and negative, once i find out i will take the old wires off the connectors and run new speaker wire through the car.

The color of my wires are...

Right door-  Dark GREEN/ Orange,  WHITE/ Light Green

Right Rear- Pink/ Light Blue, BROWN / Pink

Left Rear- Tan/ Yellow, Pink/ Light Green

Left Door- Light Blue/ White, ORANGE / Light Green

duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  

are you using an aftermarket harness to make the connections for the new radio to the factory plug at the dash?  if not, you should.

you could look at what colors match up the the factory plug from the adapter harness to figure out positive or negative. 

or you can use a battery on the factory speaker to figure out which terminal on the speaker is positive and negative.  take a 9 volt battery, and run some wires from each terminal of the battery to the terminals on the speaker.  if the speaker pushes out when you touch it with the wires, then you have the positive of the battery connected to the positive of the speaker.   make note of which terminal of the speaker that was, and match up the factory connector to find out which end is positive.  when you figure it out, it will be the same for all the plugs in the car.

one other thing you could do to make it very easy, would be to go to circuit city, and pick up some speaker harnesses.  they will plug right into the factory plugs and then into your new speakers.

good luck

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
Each speaker plug has a clip on one side to hold it on to the speaker. The wire on the side with the clip is the neg.
There is no such thing as free installation!
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
If you are installing new speakers and a new head unit then this doesnt matter. What I mean is that when you wire the deck in just keep track of what wires you hook up as your positives then when you do your speakers you already know which wires are wired as positive.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic