icon

Door Actuators on a Dodge Caravan

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
redsatrun 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2003 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 1998 Dodge Caravan with Dual sliding doors, does anybody have any suggestions, on to where i can run the wires to get them inside the door panel.

Thanks

themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2003 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
Well for the front doors you have to drill if it dosent have no speakers or anything in the door. There should be a opening in the kick pannel where the wires would be, just drill the rest out to get outside.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2003 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  

Here's what you'll need for your side doors: http://www.spal-usa.com/html/finsacc5.htm  You can also purchase them from your local Dodge/Chrysler dealer's parts department.

redsatrun 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2003 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  

I never seen this type of system before, do you think you can elaborate on how to install them. I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2003 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

It's actually very simple. You remove the existing plates in each sliding door and door jamb and replace them with the ones shown at the top of the image below. The contact switch plate in the door has two wires that attach to the actuator. The plate in the door jamb has a connector for the two wires that connect to your relays and/or door lock switches. When the door is closed, the contact switch plate in the door makes contact with the plate in the door jamb allowing you to lock and unlock the sliding door. Also,  behind each sliding door jamb behind the plastic panel, you'll find the factory harness that connects to the plate that goes in each jamb. Cut this harness and insulate the vehicle side of it and connect your leads to the plug side.

Door Actuators on a Dodge Caravan -- posted image.

redsatrun 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2003 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

Once this is connected, then how do i control the door locks, keep in mind I do not have any power door locks in the van at all, is there a factory wire that runs from the sliding doors to the front of the van.

Thanks

the12volt 
Posted: January 08, 2003 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

There are wires that do run to the BCM, but as I said above, cut the harnesses behind each jamb that plug into the new plates, insulate the vehicle sides of the harnesses and attach your wires to the plug sides and run them to your keyless entry or whatever you had planned to install to control them.

cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2003 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  

Is this the same for Jeep's that you would take off the doors for when you go offroading?

My friend's Jeep doesn't have power door locks, and they take off the doors every now and then to go 4X4ing.  So maybe something like this would work?

the12volt 
Posted: January 08, 2003 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
No, you'll want to use some type of disconnect for removable doors like his.
securinu 
Silver - Posts: 772
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2003 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
be careful with the jeeps . we had a customer who would play with her remote while driving and one time the wires were pinched inside the door. well when she hit the remote smoke everywhere from the short. not to mention melted wire everywhere she freaked and almost sued the place i used to work for. now i dont do them at all.and we used to use the cb power harness from radioshack for the quick disconnect.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic