Puddle Lights on with open door

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jasonb61 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
I have a 1992 Dodge Dakota and I installed some aftermarket mirrors which have puddle lights built in. Anyways, I was wondering how I could wire the lights to come on if the door is open but NOT when the interior light is switched on. For the interior light to come on in my truck, the door pin provides the ground for the light I BELIEVE.. (99.99% sure)
Any ideas? Like I said, I just want them to come on when the doors are open... I am not too familar with the rest of the interior light wiring so thats why I wanted to ask first.
I cant wire the puddle lights to the door pin for a ground because the puddle lights share the ground wire with the turn signals so if I did that, then both would come on at the same time.
Thanks,
-Jason
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
You will need to trigger the puddle lights with the door trigger wires and turn signal wires. You will also have to add in diodes to prevent the door triggers and directionals from backfeeding.
A quick explanation of diodes can be found here:
https://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic