icon

2005 gran prix autopage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oveste 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
I had an autopage RS660 profesionally installed in my wife's 2005 Gran Prix.  When the remote start is engaged and you enter the vehicle, insert the key and turn to the start position none of the guages work.  If you disarm the alarm and start the car manually everything seems to work fine.  The shop is trying to contact the factory to see what, if anything is supposedly happening or not happening.  Has anyone else seen or experienced anything like this?
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
I always tell customers NOT to use Key & Go........
Some vehicles, ( could be installers ) will have Check Engine / Trouble Light come On when the Remote Start is Activated & the Ignition Key is turned On before the R / S is De-activated.
I tell customers to turn Off the R / S with Brake Pedal or Remote, prior to inserting Key, just to make sure ALL Functions of Vehicle & Dash are working properly.
You never know when you might have a Failure of a Relay or Remote Start component.
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
1. When you enter the car, sit down, and turn on the ignition key, the remote-start is NOT yet deactivated.........you must step on the brake, and then the remote start turns off, the car's parking lights go out, and the car is now running off the ordinary ignition switch.
When you do that, do the gauges come back on?
2. That car has very thin, low-power wires at the ignition switch.
If even a small amount of power remains applied to the car's starter wire, the car will "think" the key is in the "Start" position------which will disable the gauges, and often the climate controls and/or radio.
Your car has a factory "anti-grind" feature.......in case you haven't noticed, it is impossible to over-crank or under-crank the starter.......
To see what I mean, simply turn the key to the "Start" position and HOLD it there for several seconds...........you will see that no matter how long you hold it there, the engine will start perfectly and not over-crank.......but the gauges and other features will not behave normally until you release the key.
Likewise, if you bump the key to "Start" for just a fraction of a second, the engine will still start perfectly.........all in all, it is a pretty cool feature, and more and more of the new cars are being built that way.
3. Anyway, my bet is that the "Start" wire in the car is seeing power whenever the remote starter is on, instead of only for a moment, like it is supposed to.
If you understand the design of the as described above, you will see that leaving power on the "start" wire during the entire remote start process.........it will keep the gauges and other features from coming on, but it WILL NOT cause the starter motor to constantly grind, as you (or the installer) might typically expect.
--The installer might have powered up the "start" wire as an "accessory" or "ignition" circuit, by mistake.
--The Autopage unit might be allowing a small amount of power to leak out into the car's "start" wire at all times...........if the installer instead makes it so the Autopage starter output trips a relay.......and the relay in turn applies power to the car's starter wire......that should fix it.
oveste 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
No, you can hit the brakes put the car in any gear and drive the vehicle, but no gauge operation is available until you shut the car off, open and shut the door and then start the car manually.
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
There is 2 PURPLE wires in the area for DisArm.....
Are you sure they got the CORRECT PURPLE wire for DisArm?
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
I have had this same problem on another Grand Prix. The transponder interface may be to blame. If it is the type that taps onto the Class II data bus it will likely be the cause. The easy way to confirm this is to temporarily disconnect the transponder bypass and slide a key into the ignition cylinder, but don't turn it. Now activate the remote starter and see if the gauges work. I am betting they do. You need to use a different stlye transponder bypass. I use a PKU-GM model and have never had any issues with the car or the module there after.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic