icon

door jamb boots

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97gss 
Copper - Posts: 235
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
Do you guys have any recommendations as far as what to use in older cars as protection when running wires to the doors that don't have any ran? The old way I would use is to drill a hole in the car higher than the one in the door and use grommets,loom and a little silicone to seal the holes and cover the wire. I just wanted to see what other options are out there for doing these. Thanks.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

What year and make vehicle ?. There may have been an option for the one you are working on that had power inside the doors. Post back with what you are working with.

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
97gss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

It's for older cars in general.  The car that I'm about to work on is a 69 Cornet

Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  

Here's a set that would support a few wires for like power windows, door locks, power mirrors, speaker wiring, etc.:

http:///.com/ebaymotors/POWER-WINDOW-DOOR-JAMB-WIRING-BOOTS-PAIR-NEW-ACCORDION_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10076QQitemZ4637017846

Some of the door lock actuator kits also have rubber tubes but are not real large in diameter.

I'm not up to speed with the older Dodge's (I'm still learning while working on restoring a 68 Dart for a relation) but do any of the Chrysler/Dodge places that reproduce or have NOS parts have anything ?. I would think they had some kind of power window option on some models from that year that might be able to be used and made to work. I do know how it is sometimes finding older car parts.

If push comes to shove you could drill holes in the door and cowl side and after painting the bare metal edges add some grommets and seal it up with silicone but I would worry about any twisting or pulling motions from opening and closing the door that it might tear the seal up and allow water into the door or kick panel area. Ideally put the one on the cowl side higher than the hole on the door so whatever water may run onto the tube and gets inside the door would be able to exit out the drain slots on the bottom edge of the door.

Jim 

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
97gss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
I couldn't get the link to work. What you said is what I normally do in these situations. I wanted to see if anyone made any boots that could be put in. I'll look around for some. Thanks.
joemomma 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2006 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
You might check with a marine supply/boating supply store.  They might have some rubber boots that you could use, as they use them when running speedo cables and such through the hull.
97gss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2006 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, thanks for the idea.
Evolution-UK 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2006 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  
ebay item number: 4637017846
gavin9797 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2006 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  

Not too sure if I completely understand. But if the problem is no holes Pillar to door for wires to pass. 1 solution may be go to an auto wrecker, find a couple boots in good condition (not weathered, torn etc. visually appealing) Than you can make your holes in accordance to the size of the boot. There are many different size diameters, I have seen them from about 11/2" to 3-31/2".

May not be the way you want to go but an easy solution.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic