icon

94 Ford Ranger slowly dying

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thatboytonyton 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
I have had 2 10" subs running on one amp for a little over a year. I finally got tired of looking at the wires so i pulled out the seat and some other things and ran all wires under the carpet.  I put everything back the way it was but i accidently put a screw that holds the amp to the back wall right through a speaker wire to the sub and there was a rythmic popping, but not to the beat of the music. I fixed that and now the subs thump (with the music this time) at medium to high volume, but now when i turn the volume to 0, the subs have a low rumble and if the engine is running, the subs make a whistling noise. Someone mentioned a grounding problem, but the grounds are exactly the same as before. anyone have any suggestions?
Its Plum!
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
If you're sure you don't have any wires shorted anywhere, there's a good possibility that you're amp was damaged.  Try connecting another in place of your current one and see if that solves the problem.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
thatboytonyton 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
I looked through all the wires and didnt find any thing weird except in my RCA wires. They have a clear cover so i can see the wire and in a few spots there is black marks that look like burns. I tried a spare set of RCA wires but i still heard the same low rumbling noise and still the whistling as i drive.
Its Plum!
thatboytonyton 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
I pulled up the carpet (yet again) and moved the power supply that runs to the amp along the left side of the driver seat and moved the rca wires along the left side of the driver seat. This seemed to reduce the whistling noise with the rpm's, but there is still that dang rumbling. Now i noticed pops in the subs when i change radio stations and change it back and forth from cd to radio.
Its Plum!
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
The above advice still stands.  Have you tried a different amp?
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  

check to make sure you ave a good ground. Check the resistance of you ground to a *good* ground and it should read between 0-2 ohms*ish...if you still have the problem check to make sure all your wires are in tact....you might want to try out a ground loop isolator...you can always return the part if it dosent help.

sS

thatboytonyton 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  

I am gonna see if someone will let me borrow an amp for a day or so since i dont have any laying around.  I double checked the ground wire to the amp, but not with a voltmeter. Do i disconnect the wire from the frame then attach a lead to the wire and a lead to the ground surface? The thing that worries me the most it how fast it happened. I didnt replace any parts, or take anything out of my system, and then these problems start showing up. Man.

Its Plum!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic