icon

troubleshooting kicker 1200.1 & subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eightem 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 4:06 AM / IP Logged  

i have a 97 chrysler lhs i know some basics compaired to the people here but more than average for most people..

iam running a kicker 1200.1 and 2 dvc 4 ohm kicker cvx's (cvx'sBRAND NEW)... in a vented box ran @ 1 ohm gain half up and bass boost half up freq. at 75 and a pioneer DEH-P780MP

here is the problem when i wanna show off my system i use the super bass EQ setting on the deck it will play through the song 1 or 2 time but in the middle of the song the second time it will cut out i have to turn the volume down in order for the amp to go out of protection.if i leave it at the same volume it just keeps cutting in and out not even getting the bass line rite.

soo.....i thought blown voice coil... had a fomer installer check the ohms on it. he hooked it up and the voice coils were not blown.....ok its the ground...so i re-grounded it and same problem....the amp isn't hot when this happens....he nor i know what the problem is..

my ground is on the metal brace of the back seat ..

any ideas would be helpful. i tried to include everything for the problem if u ned any more info just let me know.

thanks,

eightem

duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 6:13 AM / IP Logged  

sounds like you are over doing it on the Bass Boost.   having it boosted at the radio and the amp is just too much boost.  the subs are probably reaching their mechanical limits and sending an extremely tough load to the amp causing it to go into protect.   you are lucky that you didnt blow the subs

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 6:19 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you have your gain set improperly and your amp is clipping. Use a DMM to set the gain and it should solve your problem. Do a search in the forums to learn how to set the gain if you dont already know. Good luck and I hope this helps.
duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 6:28 AM / IP Logged  
it doesnt matter what his gains are set at if he is gonna blast the bass boost the way that he is.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  
could be a combination of the 2
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 7:42 AM / IP Logged  
sounds to me like a lack of current. the amp is starving for power.   have your checked your voltgage when the amp cuts out?
what type of upgrades to you have to your charging system?
If none...........there is your problem, the kx1200.1 is capable of drawing up to 150 amps of current, you may need a bigger alternator and battery or both!
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Silvrefox 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with the lack of voltage standpoint. If you don't got the juice to run that 1200.1, it will go into protection at least for a few seconds to however long it needs to recover.
eightem 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  

with the bass boost the installer said it shouldn't matter if the gain is just under half way they shouldn't blow i am tomarrow getting a 150 amp alternator and i have a red top battery i will check back wensday and see if it just wasn't getting anough power.

eightem 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2006 at 3:31 AM / IP Logged  

Ok hopefully someone will see this seeing it has been a month been very busy at work.

i figure'd out why the amp is cutting out it is when the amp drops under 12 volts the amp cuts.so even with everything set to half it still cuts out at low volume.so i ran an MB quarts raa1000 and no cut out ,amp was all they way up, max out and it drops under 12 volts. i have a H/O Alt. and i really want to keep this 1200.1 do you suggest running an optima battery in the trunk? i have a red top under the hood.pretty much i am tryin to keep this amp from cutting out ,so i am trying to keep the amp above 12 volts. any idea's???? if soo where is it safe to mount the battery i really dont wanna pay the shop custom install time so i really wanna do it my self. this would be my first time installing a dual battery sset-up everyone i talk to around here tells me something different on how to hook it up so i figure'd i would ask some pro's Or just drop the 1200.1 and move to something that doesn't draw soo much i am trying to stay 1 ohm stable so i dont have to buy 2 amps and break each sub down individually to there own amp?

thanks

eightem

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic