icon

beginning a fg project, fleece?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
grantd 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2006 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
ok well it sounds like thinning is in fact a good idea, what kind of ratio's do you guys use with the acetone?
Evolution-UK 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2006 at 3:01 AM / IP Logged  
I tend to use grill cloth, instead of fleece, when doing the smaller stuff. It stretches really well and is alot thinner. It also takes a good soaking with resin and is ideal for tweeter builds etc.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
In a car audio mag i have they started the first layer of a center consol sub box in a honda element with sub box carpet and then added a couple layers of FG. They said that it would be pretty strong and soak up a lot of resin though.
Anyone here ever tried using carpet for the initial layer?
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

I would have prefered not admitting this, but yes aznboi3644, I did back in the day soak some automotive carpeting from J.C. Whitney.  The area was large and.............WHEW, what a waste of resin!!!!!!.  That sucker must have soaked up 3 gallons of resin before it got scrapped.  LOL, what a flashback.  We (friends and I of the late 1980's when minitrucking was making the grade) thought we were hot stuff creating things that didnt exist.  None of us had near the income we do now, so we often look back and laugh, but dont dare tell.....until you had to ask that question.  We were visiting the B. Dalton bookstores and Hastings, to name a few so that we could take a look and remember what George Barris, Ed Roth (older customizers) were up to.  The books didnt show everything, appearantly they were creating these books to show off instead of instructing and behind the screens of what they were really fabricating with.  We saw "CHICKEN WIRE" in a background!  So, even now I use 3/8" or 1/2" wire mesh for some body moldings as well as plugs.

.....uh,

aznboi3644 
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
So its not that good of an idea to use carpet like in my magazine?
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
pajokijr, check one of these MEK DISPENSER from Select Products to help you mix the Resin and the Harderner better. beginning a fg project, fleece? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Shaking The Neighborhood
aznboi3644 
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
Quick question sorry (im pretty new to fiberglassing)
So is fleece strong after being resinned?
Everyone here is saying to fleece then add a few layers of glass.
On "Unique Whips" (Yes i know Reme has no logic behind his boxes, he just makes them to fit) Reme only resins a layer of fleece then calls it a day and bondos then paints.
Could i just ad a layer or two more a fleece if i didn't feel like buying glass?
torquehead 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  

Thick fleece is strong if soaked completely, but not strong enough.  That is the reason everyone that chooses integrity over cheap bling will add a number of layers of FG mat material on top of this, and then smooth it with body filler, then prep for finishing.

I will never, ever use carpet of any kind again to add resin to for fabrication.

Unique Whips is TV.  For one, its a guarantee you didnt see everything.  Two, he may have used more layers under the body filler, you only saw the time elapsed build.  He (Reme) probably whips this stuff together just for quick looks to make the show.  All of a sudden I dont have anything good to say about TV fabricators...  other than, I wish I had the free time to have a clean shop like thiers, my shop exhibits proof that some serious work is being performed on a daily basis.

pajokijr 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2006 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
reme doesnt just use one thing of fleece,he does add matting to all of his boxes they just dont have the time to show it all.i know i thought the same thing until i went down there and talked to him.i was just as  confused.but the fleece hardenes a little bit to give you a base to lay the matting on. from what i understand.
torquehead 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2006 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  

Ah, ok, I get ya.  Yes, thats the objective is to have the fleece serve as a shapeable foundation in any shape anyone may desire.  FG mat or FG cloth weave serves as the stronghold for the complete fabrication......beer time, talk to everyone later.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic