icon

DIY rear skirts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mouglie 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2006 at 3:47 AM / IP Logged  

Just wanted to share some pictures... FYI this is my FIRST FG projects so before this i knew nothing about it. This site helped alot in my research...

as you can see, the original piece was too short to fit on the car and i didn't feel like hacking up and nice expensive part from japon so a copy would come in handy here...

[IMG]https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Mouglie/FG%20Skirts/fiberglassskirts006.jpg[/IMG]

i started out with fiberglass cloth because of its weaved design and i figured it would be easier and cleaner to work with for a n00b. ofcourse i covered the piece in foil paper, then used some pam spray for a good release agent. I cut a piece long enough to cover the skirt and resinned it.

[IMG]https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Mouglie/FG%20Skirts/fiberglassskirts6001.jpg[/IMG]

yah i got curious after an hour and wanted to see what it would look like so i pulled it off!!!

[IMG]https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Mouglie/FG%20Skirts/fiberglassskirts6002.jpg[/IMG]

making progress, i like that it was holding down the shape but it was too flimsy so more layers had to be laid down on this, for this part i will use fiberglass matt, which i've read that its way stronger than cloth.

[IMG]https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Mouglie/FG%20Skirts/fiberglassskirts5002.jpg[/IMG]

and here is what i got so far... now i'm gonna sand it down, lay about 2 more layers and cut out the edges... I will then cut this skirts in half and test-fit them on the car so i can see how much longer they will need to be. then i will extend them by laying a last layer of Fiberglass matt and sand everything like crazy...

only problem here is that i can't find any place to buy rage gold from so some Bondo auto filler will have to work for this project, hopefully i don't encounter any issues with bondo sticking to FG.

[IMG]https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Mouglie/FG%20Skirts/fiberglassskirts5004.jpg[/IMG]

I shall never outrun my guardian angel - again.
mouglie 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2006 at 4:01 AM / IP Logged  

Alrighty then, the n00b didn't know how to post pics so here they are, here is the original skirt...

DIY rear skirts -- posted image.

and here is the mold after 1hr of curing. 

DIY rear skirts -- posted image.pics...

the skirts were reinforced with matt so they look kinna hairy here...DIY rear skirts -- posted image.

The skirt of the mold, need more work on it but i like it so far.DIY rear skirts -- posted image.

well post your comments...

torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2006 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
.....hey......where's the carbon fiber?....and the creme filling?  I didnt exactly follow why you made a FG replica of what already existed until i re-read "as you can see, the original piece was too short to fit on the car and i didn't feel like hacking up and nice expensive part from japon so a copy would come in handy here..."   I now understand you had to fabricate a part to make it longer without ruining the original.  Good Idea, and good job by the way, but I dont feel I have seen the end of this.  Are you going to cut it in half and add between to match the length of the car's panel?  Keep us posted on the progress and the end result after complete installation, looking foreward to the finish.
mouglie 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2006 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  

hey thanks torquehead, yah i'm not done yet. You're right on what you said, i will cut it in half and then re-fiber it to the length needed to fit on the car...

I will keep up the updates... I'm acutally getting addicted to this site and all the FG projects so don't be surprised if i start coming up with some wild ideas for future projects. Thanks for commenting...

carb0n03 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
smart idea on not hacking up the original piece. lookin forward to the steps and final completion pics.
Project- Fiberglass trunk area to accomadate 13W7, 1000/1, 300/4
mouglie 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 4:33 AM / IP Logged  

well just a little update on the project...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic