icon

Why does my battery really die?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mtx9500man 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 12" MTX 9500 and an MTX 8100TC 2400 watt amp and a Mean green 200amp Alt in a Jeep Wrangler. Ive had Custom Sounds tell me my amp is bad but ive swapped amps and the same thing happens. If I have my gain really low, and let the radio do the rest of the bass, everything works fine. But when I put my gain up to really the way it should be, it all works until I turn my Jeep off and then when I try to turn it back on, the battery is almost dead. I know when its going to die next time I try to start it because right when I turn the vehicle off everythings instantly stops when usually my radio plays another 3 seconds before turning off. The speedometer lights up dull, the needles start bouncing everywhere and the starter tries to crank but stops. Other times, when I accelerate, the bass cuts out and when I come to a stop, its back on. But once again, only when I have my gain settings up for more bass from the amp. To get the vehicle started again, I have to disconnect the amp and the battery from the terminals and reconnect them to get it started again. Could this just mean my battery is going bad already? It is a stock battery now, and I did order an Optima Deep Cycle battery and it should arrive here soon, im hoping it will correct my problem. Any recommendations or suggestions or am I on the right path? Thanks.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

Batteries wear out like everything else.  If you do routine maintenance- check the fluid level in the battery cells, keep the terminals clean, coat them with grease, check your cables/grounds for signs of wear, etc. it will prolong the life.  You said it's the factory battery- if you haven't kept up on the maintenance, and it's lasted 3-4 years or so, it's probably time for a replacement.

However, I'd get my charging system checked if I were you.  You said the bass cuts out sometimes when you accelerate.  This could mean that your alternator is not putting out what it should.  Regardless what it's rated at, have it checked.  Also, you should do the big 3 (read the sticky if you're unsure what this means).

Once the problem has been isolated/corrected, set the gain on your amp and leave it.  Do a search here if your unsure about this.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

Well you are probably draining your battery pretty quickly.  That can do some damage on a stock battery which isn't supposed to be constantly drained.  This could/most likely is damaging your battery which will reduce the time you can play music with the car off.  The the Optima should help.

The second thing that concerns me is how you are constantly changing your gain.  A gain isn't a volume control, and you should "set and forget it."  Once your find the right gain settings on your amplifier, then there is no other setting.  Do a search for "gain" in this forum for the proper technique on setting gains.  If you don't set it right, then you endanger your equipment.

P.S.  Why did the shop say your amplifier was bad?

That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2006 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
geepherder...  You just beat me Why does my battery really die? -- posted image..
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
mtx9500man 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you for the responses. The shop said it was a bad amp because whenever he turned the gain up, it would cut off. I tried turning the gain up when I got home and it didnt cut off. I also switched amps and it still worked fine. Im having to keep my gain less than half way and this amp needs a lot more gain to pound the kind of woofer im using. I will admit I have messed with the gain often because this woofer is suppose to pound really hard but its not sounding like my friends 10" Sony Explode only receiving like 800 watts to it. Wouldnt I start to lose power if the battery was bad or wouldnt the stereo start to die during use if it was going bad? Its not even a year old. and I can drive and use it as long as I want until I turn it off then its 99% dead. Then it can do a lot of weird things, my vehicle will flash lights, or turn hazzards on, and when I reconnected my negative to the bat, the vehicle started itself which I though was strange. Maybe the computer remembered I tried starting it when it was dead and finished its objective. Battery terminals are clean, but a little beat up. I may have the electrical checked out. It could be the new alternator, I put it in not to long ago but everything seems to stay charged. Could the amp connection be shocking my battery or can some kind of issue discharge my battery when I turn it off? I disconnect the wire from the battery to amp and everything works so far. Thanks again.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like you need a new battery and need to read the gain turtoral at the begining of this page.    The gain is not a volume knob.....but it is a good way to blow up your expensive speaker by feeding distortion to it.
buy a new gel cell battery that will take the abuse your amp demands...like a kinetik or optima.
read the gain topic at the begining, and set it correctly or take it to a shop to set it correctly
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
mtx9500man 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
I got it checked out today. He said the battery comes out good and the alt must be charging the battery because nothing is dimming or turning off. The only thing I can guess is that during my bassing out, its killing the battery because it works fine if I dont. When I get my Optima installed, ill let you all know if it cleared up. Thanks again for the responses
mikemcd620 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
mtx9500man wrote:
I will admit I have messed with the gain often because this woofer is suppose to pound really hard but its not sounding like my friends 10" Sony Explode only receiving like 800 watts to it.

As everybody said,  calm down with the gain.

yes the mtx9500 should be louder than an xplode. just about everything is. . . . BUT in a jeep wrangler with the open cabin, it will make ANY sub WAY quieter.

idk about your whole electrical system though.
mtx9500man 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I noticed a major drop in bass with the top off but with the hard top VS the soft top there really isnt that much of a drop in bass. Everyone keeps telling me not to use the gain much but without gain theres practically no bass at all. I have to turn up the radio a lot and its still not enough compared to the gain at 75% vs 25%. What am I suppose to do?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 01, 2006 at 6:19 AM / IP Logged  
If that's a dual voice coil sub, disconnect one and see if your bass comes in strong.  What you describe could simply be an incorrectly wired sub.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic