icon

Voltage after fuse holder

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdubb5005 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, my amp stopped working the other day and I am trying to figure out the problem. Right now I have looked at all the fuses, three in the amp are fine, and the one inline on power wire looks alright, but it has a little part that looks like it might have melted, but it is still continuous. The voltage I got before the fuse holder on the wire was 13.x then after the fuse it was down to 2.4, is the fuse bad, or maybe the connection in the fuse holder?
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
yes, its blown with that amount of voltage drop. ohm the fuse just to be sure. the question now is why did it blow?
Prove your connections, use a meter!
I promise, I'll behave!
jdubb5005 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
My guess is that there was too much draw on the fuse? I only had a 60 amp fuse, but after doing some research here I should have > 90 3x30 fuses on the amp.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah thats prolly the reason.
Normally you want to have the inline fuse as big or bigger than the total of the amplifier(s)
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
What gauge is your amplifier power wire?
Remember, the fuse on the power cable is for the power cable and not the amp. The power cable fuse should definitely be bigger than the total of the fuses on the amp though.
jdubb5005 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
It is 4 gauge wire, I believe it is big enough for my application power handling wise.
djray_89 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
my customer also experienced the same problem. his fuses kept blowing one after another. after changing his amps power cable to a larger gauge, the fuses stopped blowing. This problem was caused by the increased amp flow rate in the cable. Also, check the terminals at your amp. do any of the cables have strands shorting one another? this will blow the fuse.Make sure that all the connections are tight and not shorting.
jdubb5005 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for the input, i picked up a 100 amp fuse today. Installed works like a charm.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic