icon

Over excursion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
punkbastard 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
I have a customer that had a box built by one of my employees.  The tinsel lead keeps seperating from the connection point, Its actually breaking the little tab that the tinsel lead is soldered on to.  They are infinity dvc 10's and it is only happening to one of the voice coils.  I thought at first that the box was too small and over excursion was the culprit so I added some polyfill and replaced both subs and it sounded 10 times better but now it has happened to another sub.  Can anybody help me figure out what else this might be?
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2006 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
Problem is likely that the lead is to short for cone movement.  Techinically over driven, the cone is moving further than the lead will allow.  Weather this is caused by by wrong box, exessive power or poor quality control can only be determined by you.  As for puting polyfill into the box, you are foolong the sub into believing its in a bigger box, and would likly make the situation worse.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  

It definitely sounds like the sub is being driven beyond it's mechanical limits.  Is this a ported or sealed enclosure?  If sealed,  a larger enclosure will only increase the problem as it will be more efficient.  The solution is to have the customer turn his stereo down.  He could reduce the enclosure size depending on the alignment goals.  If ported, the likely cause is that he is running the sub below tuning.   The solution there would be to have a subsonic filter added to prevent the sub from unloading. 

As for the stuffing, all that does is slow down the internal air speed to make the enclosure "appear" bigger.  Adding stuffing won't make the problem worse.

punkbastard 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  

I didnt think polyfil would make it worse either.  The box is sealed, you said that if the enclosure was made larger than it would only increase the problem because it would be more efficient?  What do you mean by that?  I thought that  box being too small for a sub would cause over-excursion, therefore bigger box = no overexcursion?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
A larger box (if sealed) will have a "less springy" or "softer" air-mass within it, and because of that, the air mass will have less control over the cone movement... You need to go the other way, and make the box SMALLER... As Steven pointed out, adding poly-fill (or any stuffing, for that matter) will actually make the box "appear" larger to the woofer, so adding that stuffing actually exacerbated your problem, it didn't help you at all...
How big is your enclosure right now? Is it the size recommended by Infinity? Is it too big? IS IT TRULY AIRTIGHT!?!? I capitalize that, because that's a big issue. A "sealed" box with air leaks behaves the same as a vented box - a too-small vented box, tuned too low. Add this to running the woofer without a subsonic filter, and you are looking for problems... Check these issues. It seems to me that it is most likely the box, as you said you have replaced the woofer, and the issue continues.
Are you overpowering the woofer, i.e is your amplifier within the rated power specs of the woofer? Is the bass-boost cranked? How are the rest of your settings? LOTS of things could be happening here, but I suspect your enclosure, first and foremost.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic