issue with aftermarket oil pressure gauge

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
neon_ss 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  

1998 Dodge Neon

ok I am asking cause I think I might be over looking something...

I have an aftermarket oil gauge that is doing some weird stuff
when ever I turn on my lights its gets a 5 psi drop, or when I roll both my windows down at the same time I get about a 10psi drop
I have had the following hooked up all negatives to negatives and positives to positives (hooked to the blue ignition wire)
oil psi gauge (electric)
boost/vacuum gauge
reverse glow gauges
I installed my aem wideband yesterday same power and ground points... my gauge will barley reads above 15psi... if I pull the ground from the AEM gauge the oil returns to its "normal" condition (35-40psi cold)
some of the same effects happen when I had my cyberdyne volt meter hooked up...
this really has me bugged...

I mean the AEM gauge really kills its reading, wonder why that is

I am thinking maybe a diode might help (I need to look into that more)
the electrical system has an optima red top, 4 gauge wiring, 135amp alternator (with ur race pulley and adam K alternator pulley) 1/2 farad capacitor
grounding point is right off the metal frame in the dash (fuse box area)
none of the other gauges were effected...

infinkc 
Copper - Posts: 438
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
what type of oil guage? if its an autometer make sure the sending unit is grounded(use a backstrap)
There are 10 types of people in the world, ones that understand binary and ones that dont.
neon_ss 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2006 at 5:11 AM / IP Logged  

infinkc wrote:
what type of oil guage? if its an autometer make sure the sending unit is grounded(use a backstrap)

the oil and vacuum/boost gauges are made by Megan Racing

neon_ss 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  

ok... I rewired all my gauges using a nice terminal block...

tested voltage at the battery and at the barrier it was 12.31v car off (had doors open and radio on for few hours)

used a relay... the blue ignition wire turns on the relay which recieves power from the constant 12v red with ?white? tracer under the dash

its grounded to the single screw on the head lamp switch

the wire on the sender also showed 12.31v

if there was any voltage drop in the big3 wires it was a fraction of mV

hooking up the AEM wideband showed a .15 - .30 in voltage drop (can't remember the number at the moment

car running the voltage was at about 13.8 (in car same test points)

turning on the lights dropped volatge to a little over 12 volts, turning them off bounced them to above 14 then settling back to 13.8 volts, turning the heater full blast also keep the voltage low with no increase

hooking up the AEM gauge with the oil pressue sender disconnected cause the oil psi gauge to start swinging like crazy (I have a video I will post later), hooking the sender up showed less the 10psi, then removing the AEM gauge showd 35psi (warm day, idle)

and of course turning on the headlights and then the heater made the oil psi gauge drop a little each time (little less then before due to cleaner wiring)

any suggestions?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic