icon

Easy disconnect

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aceracer24 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2006 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, my question has to do with easy disconnect connections for EQ and Amps. I have a 68 VW beetle and am in the process of building an amp rack in the front trunk area. There will be 2 MTX amps as well at the component crossover network. Since the front area is where all my electrical connections for the rest of the bug run, I might have to access this area at any given time. I'm trying to figure out the best way to connect the stereo wiring for easy disconnect from the amps and the crossovers so I can remove the amp rack when ever I need to. Right now for temporary purposes I have holes drilled in the bottom of the fiberglass to run the wires through but they are directly connected to the amps and crossovers. It's very inconvenient to unscrew them every time and make sure the right wire is reconnected to the right connection. So I was thinking of an easy disconnect all in one like you would find in stock deck connections on newer cars. I'd use this for the the crossover network at the very least but was wondering if something like this would be a good idea for the amps or if there is a better idea that I am unaware of.
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2006 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
an easy way to do it is give yourself plenty of wire to move the pannel out of the way.
the harder way to do it is get a quick disconnect plug from selectproducts.com modell sppsc the four guage one, you will need two. that will only cover a disconnect on the power. now you can go to a computer store or an automotive store to find a plug that will handle like 8 wires for the speakers or 12 wires to include two subs. now with the rcas you will have to leave them a way to just unplug them and leave them to the side. if you try to cut them or anything you risk engine noise being introduced. and you dont want that. hope this helps. but the longer wire idea is probably a better idea as it may be easy to hide the extra wires.
ps if you use longer wires make sure you try to hide the power and rca wires in two different spots as if you put them near each other it will most likely introduce engine noise. so just give them some space between. hope this helps a little
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
aceracer24 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2006 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for replying. I could make them a little longer but that would still require me to disconnect from the units which can be a pain with an amp rack set up. Just being able to move the rack out won't really help in some cases because it's really tight in there.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic