icon

12v voltage regulator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zzachattack2 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
When using a string of LED's with the inline resistor, would you reccomend using a 12v Regulator because of the jump to 14.4v with the alternator?
If not whats another way to do that? And i don't want to just calculate the resistance for the resistor based on 14.4v because i still want the LED's to work even with the engine of
mad550 
Copper - Posts: 201
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
Don't panic too much about the voltage most LEDS have a 10% tolerance anyway so just base it on 12v and usually use 1 resister to 5 LEDS I can't remember the impedence right now but most electronics stores will be able to tell you
WOW Sight and Sound
Maroochydore
Nothing is impossible!
Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  

The proper way to do it is to not worry about voltage at all.

Calculate the current your LEDs will need based off of a 14.4vdc power supply (worst case condition).  The resistor you will then be good up until 14.4.  Anything above that and you'll be pushing the limits of the LED, but unless something major happens you should be alright.

The LEDs will still work with the engine off, they just won't be as bright.  Depending on the LED you might not even notice the difference.

Example:

If you're looking for 10mA at 14.4vdc you would use 1440 ohms

at 12vdc flat you would still have 8.3mA to power the LEDs, which should be more then enough (although over a 10% difference).

Technically, a 12vdc regulator wouldn't work for your application anyway.  To maintain the voltage you need to keep the 12vdc regulators input voltate 1-2 volts higher then the regulated output.  If you input 12vdc to a 7812 you will NOT output 12vdc, it will be closer to 10vdc.

To fix this, select a 7805 and run all your LEDs at 5vdc if you are really worried about these small differences.

Kevin Pierson
zzachattack2 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, but if i set the resistor to work with 14.4v and i drop to 12v with the engine off... then I will probably fall out of the acceptable  forward voltage range... so will that affect whether or not the LED's actually turn on?
KPierson 
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
Run them all in parallel and it won't matter.
Kevin Pierson
zzachattack2 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2006 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
Ehh then i get problems with some LED's being more or less bright. I think i will just run them in series and calculate the resistor with a source voltage for about 13.2v. So then there will a balanced change.
KPierson 
Posted: June 05, 2006 at 6:01 AM / IP Logged  
Wow, what exactly are you doing with these LEDs that requires such precision?
Kevin Pierson
zzachattack2 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2006 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
They are just for "decoration." But most sources I've read claim that LED's in parallel do not have an even intensity (i don't need EXACT but i don't want so much that your looking at it and wondering wtf). And I want them to work at both 12v and 14.4v. Im not concerned about a huge difference in intensity between the 2 voltages, as long as the LED's stay on at 12v and don't blow up at 14.4v.
I might be being a little too picky, but before i go spending money on buying the mass amount of LED's and resistors, i just want my design to be right.
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2006 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

Run them in series and calculate the resitor value so that each led will have about 30ma. That way they will be a little overdriven at 14.4v and just above 20ma at 12v. And don't worrie about cooking them at 30ma, they will be fine.

If you want ps me and I'll send you a little program that let's you calculate the resistor value based on the amount of led's, desired current and foward voltage.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic