icon

deciding what alarm to buy?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aceracer24 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
There are so many brands of alarms my head is spinning...
I have a 1968 VW Beetle. I am looking for suggestions on an alarm. I'm wanting something that will page me or call my cell to alert me when someone is trying to break into or steal my car. I plan to eventually get auto locks and auto windows but for now i have neither. I don't really need an auto start but that would be nice. SOmething with a starter disable would be good as well.
I'm looking for an alarm that has good dependability as well as warranty and fair price. I really don't know that much about alarms so not really sure what is good and what is not so asking for help here.
1968 VW Beetle
Pioneed DEH-780MP, 2 10' Memphis PR104D, Memphis PR500.1, TXC 6.1, MTX Thunder 8502
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
Forgot, I plan to instal valet doors but I think almost all alarms have this already but just in case...
1968 VW Beetle
Pioneed DEH-780MP, 2 10' Memphis PR104D, Memphis PR500.1, TXC 6.1, MTX Thunder 8502
rjparker1 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
I did the same research, I wanted a Viper alarm (directed, same company makes python). This alarm is sold at Circuit City and Best buy. Then this other shop, told me about compustar (model - 2W900FM-AS). Its around 600 bucks, but if you want a good paging alarm, remote start, with lots of options, and excellent range, then that is the one.
Even the Viper will be 500-600 depending on where you buy it. Of course, you can get cheaper versions, w/o remote start.. but if you are fixing up the vehicle, and looking to have the BEST in security, then you shouldn't waste time going cheap.
I spend over 3500 of my car, but I have a newer car, but same as you, I don't want it stolen and I want piece of mind know its right where I left it, and un-tampered.
That's my advice. Compustar. compustar.com. You can get a list of dealers in your are on the website.
There isn't anything wrong with Viper, the place I took ot to, told me Compustar was better.. never heard of them before that, but its been installed for 3 months, and I really like the alarm.
Richard Parker
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
THanks for replying. I looked at the viper and clifford and everything else made by DEI. Seems they are all about the same. I've seen some stuff on th one you mentioned. I also looked at the Commander FM870...guess I was hoping to find a more bang for the buck response :) I'll look more into the one you mentioned. I know there are some good deals in "other" places for that particular brand.
1968 VW Beetle
mrcllusb 
Copper - Posts: 489
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  
DEI and Compustart are about the main 2 that people are going with.Compustar has grown tremendously lately.Alot of people like myself go with DEI cause they've been around for awhile and everywhere you go shops install there product and or have alot of knowledge about them..I personally went with a clifford model(arrow 3).Gave me everything i needed,plus it's upgradeable to all the current extra features..
"ole blake"
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
just noticed compustar has the new SS tech in it. Clifford hasn't released their version yet. Heh very pricing though :) Not sure i need all of that but damn it looks nice.
1968 VW Beetle
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
Well against my better judgment I ordered a new Compustar 2WSS-AS. WAY more alarm then I need right now but I suppose in the future it will be great. Thanks rjparker1 for the suggestion.
1968 VW Beetle
mrcllusb 
Copper - Posts: 489
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 3:48 AM / IP Logged  
Better to have more now then not enough later..
"ole blake"
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
I traded down from the 2WSS-AS to the 2W900FM-AS. Call me a fashion freak but the 2W900FM remote looks tons better. Sure I'll loose some distance but I am rarely ever that far from my car unless it's parked in my garage and then 1.5 miles won't be enough. I just don't like the looks of the remote on the 2WSS model. It looks like a cell phone from the early 90's on a tad smaller lol. Basically other then the range, these 2 alarms are pretty much the same right?
1968 VW Beetle
flatland2d 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  

Pretty much.  I was in the same boat as you (2WSS vs. 2W900FM) and opted for the 900FM instead.  From countless hours scouring the internet I've found there is some difference in range but not much (with the SS having a slight edge).  The 2WSS apparently has a very slow response (I think it's due in part to the technology it uses) and can sometimes take a few seconds to unlock after pressing the key.  Slight increase in range isn't worth the frustration.  Not to mention that horrible looking remote.  Hard to believe they come from the same company, with the 900FM looking so much better.  Can't wait till mine comes in on Thursday.

Also, the 900FM is about $50 cheaper AND you get a second 1-way remote.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic