the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

06 dodge 1500 fiberglass project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2006 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
Truck: 2006 dodge Ram 1500 quad Cab
Project: add 2 12" subs and amp to factory head unit (phase 1)
06 dodge 1500 fiberglass project -- posted image.
masking tape is applied to carpet so that I can apply resin and extract the mold of the space. Note In Most cases use of tin foil Is required to prevent damage from leakage. How ever I did not have enough Tin Foil or spray glue to attach the tin foil to the masking tape. so I just doubled up on the tape In a criss cross manner.
First Coat of resin and chop mat were applied to masking tape to extract mold. Note: everything is well protected from resin splatter and mess that could be created ps: Front seat were moved all the way up so I did not have to worry about them. (after this picture)
Both Sections have been resined up with about 3 layers of chop mat each. to speed up drying process and cut down on the prolonged fiberglass smell I turn the heat on in the car.
speaker Ring allignment. and height to ensure a good hassel free fit.
After Speaker Ring was fitted and angle matched to each other I stretched a non backing speaker box carpet material over the ring so that I can apply my resin. Note: I always use a fleese material however the location I get my supplies From were closed so I used what I had. which worked fine. The Material was stretched and stapled to the ring using an upolstry staple gun than spray glued to the side/ back of box. I Knew I was not going to apply resin to back of box so that is why I used spray adhesive to apply carpet to the box instead of staples. Plus just in case resin seeped through the carpet to that area, to prevent carpet from comming up I used a fiberglass layup Adhesive which will stay adhered more than a standard adhesive when met with resin. (Resin Deactivates Most adhesive Properties on Normal Adhesives).
Resin is Cured. The Hole is cut out of the ring. one further light coat of resin and chop mat has been applied to all areas inside the boxes where the carpet has been wrapped over the fiberglass mold. Than I sanded Down the excess off the back of the box and the top of the ring so that the box and speaker will sit properly. As intended.
Both pods were carpeted to a color that matches the door pannels and is slightly different than the actual floor carpet. In a day or so I will be glassing a pannel to cover the amp just showing the heatsink and jbl symbol.
Passanger side pod upclose.
the way the pods both look with the seat in the closed possition. The actual seat even though there is material close to the speaker, from the bottom of seat cushion to the top of speaker is approx 2.5 inches of room. so the speaker actually has plenty of room. the material is flexible. The Speakers pods have also been filled with cotton filler. To enhance sound and seem larger to the sub. both pods are in specified sealed range from manufacturer.
All materials used to make these pods were purchased at www. selectproducts.com
The Pictures are oringally in High Quality But the Files were so big I had to reduce them which decreased the Quality So I Can Post them Here on the site. i wish you can upload pictures with a little more space but i guess when you only have a limited amount 30kbs is a lot
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
noobhemi 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2006 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
SWEET!! thanks for those instructions man! my friend just got the 06 ram and was thinking of putting two 10's in there, now we know what to do!...thanks again!
Just tryin' to learn...
djfearny2 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  
your welcome for a pickup those spots are pretty deep
and well i used pretty big subs so depending on subs it could even be easier for you.
Jon
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
looking good 06 dodge 1500 fiberglass project -- posted image.
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
Sandungero24 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

nice and clean, good job

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
Looks great. how long did it take you for everything?  I noticed is that those boxes seem really small for a type R. Did you happen to calculate how much airspace is left after woofer displacement? I read that you used polyfill which is great but Im still curious as to the actual air space.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  

The 12" Type R dual 4 ohms only needs a 0.78ft^3 net box or a 0.85ft^3 including the driver displacement.  A smaller box will just result in tighter bass and less power handeling ability

Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
djfearny2 
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
both boxes are with in the range of.78 and .85 with sub so they are good. it took about 8 hours from start to finish over two days. all fiberglass was done in one day. install, of sub boxs amp carpet on boxes sanding etc was done on the second day. but from start to finish i approx 8 hours. not hard hours either.
with fiberglass the trick is the hardner resin mix percentage. to much hardner on good quality resin usually makes it take longer to dry being spot on with the mix is very important. cuts down on drying time. and makes the fiberglass come out harder. aslo cuts down on fiberglass smell.
Jon
St. Dark 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
jlord16 wrote:

A smaller box will just result in tighter bass and less power handeling ability

I believe power handling goes up as enclosure size goes down, actually.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with st. Dark. more airspace takes less power to push the subs.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic