Fiberglass Details

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nick0324 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  

hey guys,

i'm new to this forum here and i'm just starting to learn how to fiber glass. just started to do my first project and i just need some information.

i'm not making a mold or anything of the sort. what i did was build a table sort of thing in the back of my car behind my seats(i drive a cutlass supreme convertable) and what i am doing is just fiber glassing over top of it and giving it shape for my amp and my power cap.  i think it's going to turn out all right.  the reason i'm doing it this way is because i don't have the room to make a mould and then slide it in there.  it's impossible.

anyways my question is for the sanding portion of it is what kind of paper is recommended for the sanding of the fiber glass?  what i used is a filler with fiber glass peices in it already.  i didn't use any sheets of fiber glass (i'm saving that for the trunk when i do my speakers)  however, being my first time using fiber glass i realized it's alot harder then i thought it was going to be and i know the 80 grit paper i have isn't going to be good enough.

what do you recommend to use for this?

i will be posting pictures shortly once it's closer to being completed

djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
if your doing it by hand you'll be there for a while especially using a product like duraglass which is fiberglassed reinforced bondo. I use air tools but not everyone has that option. i would say go by an electric palm sander they are fairly cheap and a variety of sand paper starting at like 60 grit. then all the way to like 400 if your gonna paint it you need smooth if your just gonna cover with carpet than you dont have to go nuts you just got to have it flat. same for vinyl except a little better carpet hides a lot, vinyl shows alot., so a little more attention with vinyl and complete attention with paint.
if using carpet no primer need but i recoment just painting item black so that if you have a seem or anything in your carpet/ vinyl it will hide it a little.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
nick0324 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

thank you for the advice.  i plan on painting it because i want the glossy look to match the exterior of the car.  now i already have a palm sander.  i assumed it wouldn't be sufficient because of the amount of "excess" that i had hanging around and how hard it turned out to be.  what about a hand grinder with some 60 grit pads? would it take it off to fast and not keep the same shape of which i have already molded it to?

also are there any tricks to getting a smooth finish with the 400 grit paper?

djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
to do it by hand would probably come out smoother than using a power tool or air sander. becuase you control your hand better than you control your tool.
just sand if really smooth, prime it that resand smooth and paint. if the sanding is satisfactory.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
nick0324 wrote:

thank you for the advice.  i plan on painting it because i want the glossy look to match the exterior of the car.  now i already have a palm sander.  i assumed it wouldn't be sufficient because of the amount of "excess" that i had hanging around and how hard it turned out to be.  what about a hand grinder with some 60 grit pads? would it take it off to fast and not keep the same shape of which i have already molded it to?

also are there any tricks to getting a smooth finish with the 400 grit paper?

you will notice the sanding dust changing colours..when you get through the kitty hair...also depending on how sloppy thr kitty hair is i would even say to go as low as 36 or 40 grit paper...just to knock off all the high crap and what not and shape it all properly...then apply a smooth layer of kitty hair, to fill in any low spots...once it has hardened you can start with your 60 grit and up...

best way to get her supper smooth and glossy is to wet sand it...essentially once you are comfortable with how things look after 180...blast it with the high build primer...this will most likely show you a world of hurt (piles of stuff you have missed) fix those up with some filler and then sand and prime again...sand with 200...prime again...now things should be lookin awefully good...now break out your bucket and your 400 grit emery ( i prefer emery cause it dosent clog as easily)...wet your project and sand...dont allow the paper or the spot to get dry...also dont touch it with bare hands either...(oils from you skin could cause the paint to lift or blister)

wipe it down with a clean dry cloth...you should be ready for paint...it also helps to have a very bright light near by to help you see any flaws..

Also...after you have done the heavy grinding with the 36 or 40...everything else you should try to do with a sanding block...i usually wet sand by hand though..

Fiberglass Guru.
nick0324 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2006 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  

thank you for your information. i went out and bought the materials needed to do as you suggested.  its not going ot be fun though haha.

thanks again and pics are coming soon :)

jfunk06 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
If your deck is looking like convoluted foam(egg carton stuff) then i would use a 120 grit flapping-disc for an angle grinder.  It will be pretty powerfull because your grinder has such high RPMs.  After you get it all kind of even i would suggest going over it again with a small layer to fill in the holes.  Then i would use a palm sander with 60 grit.  Then go to 80.  Then you can probally jump to 120, then 180, then 220, 340 and so on.  I use a 5in DeWalt palm sander with adjustable speed, and its great if its coming off too fast or too slow.  Good luck!
Govenor of Jimcinati
93' GMC Safari XT
mouglie 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 2:45 AM / IP Logged  
any pictures yet?
I shall never outrun my guardian angel - again.
hakosuka 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  
also, if your hand sanding, make sure to use a block, it wont come out with little dips and you wont get fiberglass splinters in your hand either Fiberglass Details -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic