icon

How to get to1 ohm, on six 4 ohm subs.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mikemcd620 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
Is there like a resistor that i can use to get from .66667 ohms to 1 ohm?
gregory863 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
what amp are u running?
I can eat fifty eggs
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
No. Whatever resistor (actually, a .3 ohm resistor) you add into that will waste 1/3 of your amplifier power IN the resistor. Want to know how much that is? At 1000 watts, that's 330 watts. A .3 ohm, 350w resistor will be huge. Sounds to me like you chose the wrong woofers, mang! You need 2 ohm woofers, wired in series parallel for 1.3 ohms, but with common woofer values (8, 4, or 2 ohms) you cant get 1 ohm with 6 of them. I know JL used to make 6 ohm woofers, and DVC 6 ohm woofers, but I don't know if they still do.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
mikemcd620 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
well its a orion xtr pro 1000 and i guess ill just have to do it another way then  . . . I was going to get 2 alpine type r's or a type x, anyway, so o well. the subs that i was going to hook it to were hunks of junk anyway, but i was bored and was thinking of making a good huge box just to see how they would sound. but if it aint going to work, then screw it. maybe ill run a diamond d6 or something idk, do you think that will be too much power? cuz if i go with the alpines then it'll be fine but you COULD give them more power.
gregory863 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
i've had lots of guys say that the impedence will rise high enough with just the wire connections that .6666 would be ok on a real 1ohm stable amp. i would have to have 1-0 wiring to the amp and a high output alternator to try it though. you could parrell three woofs and series it to get around a 2.6 ohm load. is you amp 2 or 1 ohm stable? that would be cool with the right box. also these 6 woofs are single voice coil or dual? cuz if they're dual 2 ohm you could paralell 3 1ohm loads to around .5 and series that to 1.
I can eat fifty eggs
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
I like the sig- I was thinking of changing mine to "I can eat fifty-one eggs."  Just kidding- can you humor us and tell us a story behind that?
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 08, 2006 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  

gregory863 wrote:
i've had lots of guys say that the impedence will rise high enough with just the wire connections that .6666 would be ok on a real 1ohm stable amp.

That is possible.  Also keep in mind that impedance ratings are many times inaccurate.  Just measure the DCR of different subwoofers with 4 ohm ratings and you will see values all over the place.  It is possible that those subs impedance won't go below 1 ohm, even though the math shows a final impedance of .6 ohms. 

gregory863 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
ya'll need to watch cool hand luke. especialy you big box types. try to be like luke.
I can eat fifty eggs
gregory863 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
yeah steve but measuring with a regular meter is kind of iffy. i think that a meter that will give you a truly accurate reading of the impedance of a woof cost's around 2k or so. i know just about every meter i've ever used reads a 4ohm woof at around 5 ohms.
I can eat fifty eggs
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
I did a search on Google and found the reference.  That's funny.  I did the gallon of milk in thirty eight minutes once.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic