the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

MTX amp blowing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

surendrant wrote:
lol, i checked that one too, the wires are going to the correct terminals. The weird thing is before this amp i tried a 300 watt rms amp and it would just keep blowing its fuse and the power light would continuosly stay on even when i removed the remote wire. The light would only go off when i removed the power wire or the rca wires. So i decided to try another amp and this is what happened. Also when i ran the power wire the inline fuse was blowing cuz there were some cuts in the wire that happened when i was putting everythin back but i solved that problem taped up all the exposed spots. I'm starting to think this is a problem with the deck maybe its giving an extreemly high rca out for some reason?

Sounds to me like ripping out everything and starting over is in order... and doing it RIGHT this time. 

Support the12volt.com
surendrant 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
MTX amp blowing - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. i was thinking of that too. But even if there was another cut in the wire somewhere it wouldn't cause the amp to smoke cuz its all fused. Unless maybe there is a cut in the RCA wire?
aceracer24 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
aceracer24 wrote:
Not sure how old is old but i now there is a low/high input on mine that says if you have it for low input and you use high input wiring you'll damage the speakers or amp. Low input would be RCA cables and high input would be wired from the deck. DOn't ask me why high would be wired from deck...I always thought RCA at 5v was high but according to the manual for the amp, thats considered low /shrug worth a check anyway.
Feature Setup and Adjustments
1. Selecting the Input Sensitivity Range – Before you turn on your system, you must select the proper input
sensitivity range on your amp using the button labeled INPUT SENS located in the GAIN CONTROL section of
the control panel.
• Setting for Aftermarket Source Units: Refer to your aftermarket owner’s manual for line level output
specifi cation. If the specifi cation is not available, please follow the instructions listed below.
X1 POSITION: 100mV–1V (Typically for RCA Input)
• Setting for Factory (OEM) Source Units: To check the amount of voltage that is present from the source
unit, take a multi meter, or a volt/ohm meter, on the AC setting, (range from 100mV up to 10 volts) attach the
positive and negative leads directly to any exposed speaker. It will not matter if the polarity is correct, it will
read the same amount of voltage.
X10 POSITION: 1V–10V (Typically for Speaker Level Input)
Note: It is important not to have the amp set up to receive a low voltage signal and give it a high voltage signal. Doing this can cause damage to the amp.
I'll repost this again. It's very important on the MTX amp. I've never heard of this on any other type of amp but who knows. If your running RCA and have it set to the high input setting on the amp (assuming yours has one) you could damage the amp or speakers. Other then that,I don't know. Check to see if your amp has this low/high input and make sure yours is set right.
1968 VW Beetle
Pioneed DEH-780MP, 2 10' Memphis PR104D, Memphis PR500.1, TXC 6.1, MTX Thunder 8502
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

So if you remove the amp turn on and the amp stays on, that means there's an internal short inside the amp.  Also, unplugging the rca's should have nothing to do with the amp staying powered up, unless it's only grounded through the rca shields.

Your amp is toast.  You can send it for repair, or buy another.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
Just a quick note, again I am not sure when MTX put this feature into their amps but, on the newer ones you don't have to run a remote power wire if:
• Smart-Engage™ Auto-Turn-On - An auto-turn-on circuit is included within the amplifier. A remote turn-on
wire is not necessary when connecting the amplifier’s high-level input to a high-powered source unit (car
stereo). The amplifier will automatically turn on when music is received through this type of connection.
Note: Smart Engage™ is only active on the left input.
I am still trying to figure this out myself though....
1968 VW Beetle
Pioneed DEH-780MP, 2 10' Memphis PR104D, Memphis PR500.1, TXC 6.1, MTX Thunder 8502
surendrant 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  
thanx guyz i'll definately check that out. I jus wanna rule out the head unit as the possible cause of the problem before i blow the amp. You guyz think it could be a problem from the head unit?
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
I personally do not think so but I'm no expert /shrug
1968 VW Beetle
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
While the possibility exists that you have a problem with your deck as well, we cannot rule out the fact that your amp has a problem.  Smoking is never a sign of a healthy amp.  If you disconnect all wiring from the amp, and test it directly from the battery with a fused power, and a ground lead, does it come on without anything connected to the remote on terminal?  If so, your amp is bad.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic