icon

Line level input low/hi

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aceracer24 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  
Ok I have this nagging question that hopefully someone of superior knowledge can answer. I have an MTX T8502 amp. One of the features this amp has is line level input adjustment for either hi or low. According to the manual low level is considered RCA connections and high lvl is considered speaker connections. Now as far as I know the RCA output on my Pioneer 7800MP is 5V. According to MTX low level RCA is considered 100mV-1V and high is 1V-10V. I would ASSUME then I should be switching on the high lvl input since my RCA give out 5V but according to MTX thats not the case. And since I am using the RCA outputs to the amp ...the smart engage function doesn't work because it need to have the high lvl input on. Isn't running RCA better then running speaker? Am I totally missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1968 VW Beetle
Pioneed DEH-780MP, 2 10' Memphis PR104D, Memphis PR500.1, TXC 6.1, MTX Thunder 8502
pss5075104 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
you want the amp to be on low level and use the rca's. the rca's are still low level they are just outting out 5v to the amp for signal.
D
MECP First Class Certified Installer.
Nothing is impossable, it's just more expensive.
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
ya thats what I figured but the amp is capable of powering on when it receives a signal from the RCA's but only with high output connection...that being speaker level using their pre wire....seems backwards to me but oh well.
1968 VW Beetle
Pioneed DEH-780MP, 2 10' Memphis PR104D, Memphis PR500.1, TXC 6.1, MTX Thunder 8502
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
its tru when using highlevel inputs on good amps no remote lead is needed. the amp will go on when it sees a signal comming in on those channels. using rcas is always cleaner sounding. highlevel inputs on amps usually make then thud when shutting on and off.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
joeydeez 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
My expierence with mtx amps is not to use the auto turn on.  They always feed back.  use the low level and a remote.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

joeydeez wrote:
My expierence with mtx amps is not to use the auto turn on.  They always feed back.  use the low level and a remote.

I use the smart engage on High Level all the time and never have any issues with it, except on the factory amped for systems, I find that I get feedback on those, but a diode on the line fixed that

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
joeydeez 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
where do you put the diode?  on the actual signal line.  This could really help me out.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  

My bad, I was thinking of doing a deck install on the factory amped mach systems. Thats when i use the diode and resistor. I never found a solution for the feedback on the mach systems with the mtx amps. On those i have always needed to use external line level convertors. Sorry bout the confusion

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
aceracer24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I am lazy and found that plugging the RCA's in versus wiring in the high level outputs to the speakers is much easier. I already had the remote amp wire ready so no wasted time :)Thanks for the info though guys much appreciated!
1968 VW Beetle

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic