icon

Where do you purchase your sub ports

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dxplicitone 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 4:05 AM / IP Logged  
This may seem like a lame question but i have been searching this site as well as doing a little googling and havent found a thing.
Im an installer that has been in custom retirement (still did little stuff) since i started up my engine building phase and now have fallen back to audio after about 5 years. Its time to start the build in my IS300 and im stocking my materials up and cant figure where to get my port material from. I have already gotten my PVC from the normal home depot but are lacking the "Front" or port entrance that i will glue my PVC to. Can somebody please guide me on this? I feel like a friggin green bean here! lol
Online locations are fine with me as i can wait the ship time om not that impatient. Thank you in advance!
Oh and doodie while im at it... where do alot of you pick up your supplies period? The typical heat shrink, connectors, terminals, carpets, that kind of thing? I have used InstallationProducts.Com in the past but im sure others have good locations as well. Again thank you.
whats this wire do ??? poof.. ohhhhh!
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 4:24 AM / IP Logged  
You can get tube ports pretty cheap on www.partsexpress.com. Personally I prefer a good slot port anyday. I also get my connecters and foam baffles from there too.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
I usually slot port also. When I do need a round port though I just use pvc and flush mount it with gorilla glue between the wood and pvc so it gets sealed in the mdf hole perfectly. I also round off the inner edges of the pvc so it doesn't make any port noise.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
I am on the slot port train for street use, but we build using precission ports from parts express for our SPL vehicles.    The Civic coupe uses a slot port for SPL, but the CRX's all use round ports
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
aceracer24 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
Quick question, what is the real world difference between a slot port and round port...other then the obvious one is round and the other is a slot :)
1968 VW Beetle
Pioneed DEH-780MP, 2 10' Memphis PR104D, Memphis PR500.1, TXC 6.1, MTX Thunder 8502
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
I think slot ports are easier to build with rectangle boxes. If the port needs to be longer than the box, you just make a 90 degree turn and continue along the path. With pvc, you have to use an elbow and its just more difficult to me. Thats just my preference. Im sure there is a better reason out there.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
Slot ports offer a lot less chance of port noise.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
There are companies that make Aeroports. Aeroports consist of rounded end bells and a specific width of pipe for it. They can be purchased as a kit. Using thick wall pipe is another option provided that you can get it to secure good and tight to the enclosure. Where the pipe is going to come through a wall for example, I would double or even triple the thickness of the mdf there so that there is more surface area of the port to sit and hold against. You can either silicicone or glue the port into place. I would tak a 1/2 " roundover bit and round the inner side of the port on the inside the box end. On the outside of the box, it should be easy to sand it down fluch with the surface of the box and then take a 3/4" roundover bit to it, this will cut into the mdf by about 1/8" and into the pipe a good length but it yields a perfectly rounded port  on the outside of the box.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dxplicitone 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
luckydevil wrote:
I usually slot port also. When I do need a round port though I just use pvc and flush mount it with gorilla glue between the wood and pvc so it gets sealed in the mdf hole perfectly. I also round off the inner edges of the pvc so it doesn't make any port noise.
This is exactly what i have been doing in the past and then going back and sanding to have my rolled edge into the box as well as the PVC on the inside end to eliminate noise. This is all great info and its appreciated but lets dump further into the slot port situation if you dont mind. Currently i have my IS3 setup with a temperary enclosure thats running a slot port design. In the past though i have only calculated port length and tuning through ROUND port... and have yet to find a good way to calculate my slot ports. Can anybody elaborate on that side of it? The current setup i did on my car is calculated with the length of the longest side which im sure i did wrong but i kew it was going to be a temp setup. Thanks for all the good information by the way.
mobilesndfx 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
Check out BassBox Pro software. It will calculate any shape of port. Its the best software Ive found as an all around subwoofer enclosure design program
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic