icon

3 subs = 3 amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys! I was wondering if I can get some advice.

Currently, I have 3 15" JL Audio w3v2 D4's in a chambered box. I also have 3 Kenwood KAC 929's. Each amp is powering each sub. I also have an AudioControl Line Driver and Matrix in the mix, but that's not really relevant I think. I have plenty of power running the system - I have an Optima Red Top and an HO Alt as well, so powering my setup isn't the issue.

My issue is SPL. I am going to be competing in SPL comps in the upcoming months, and I need to get as much SPL as possible.  My system sounds really good, and it really hits hard, but I'm thinking I can go higher with the w3v2's

Is my current 3 amp set-up good? or am I not using my subs to their capacity? Should I keep the 3 amp set-up? Should I get different amps? Should I buy 1 amp to power all 3?

Basically, what should I do to push my subs to the limit? Or am I already doing that and keep what I have?

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  
Well with those amps you arent gettin the full power when bridged since you have dual 4's.
You could get an amp that puts out 1500 or more real watts at 2 ohms or get 3 mono amps.
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  

well yeah, I already know that.

That's my question though, to get every small inch that I can out of my speakers.. should I stick with my 3 amp set-up and just get different amps (that are 2 ohm stable) and better one's then the Kenwoods; or should I get 1 amp to power all 3 subs. Again, clean maximum SPL is what I'm going for here.

aznboi3644 
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
Ditch those amps if you wanna get the most outta them.
I'm not sure what would be better though one amp or three.
But then again a three amp setup would look pretty sweet.
rdaudio 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  

hard to win any spl event with w3 its more of a enrty level sub you will go through many of these if u push to hard

Revolution Design Audio
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  

yeah I know my amps are my weakest link. Only reason I used them is because I worked at Best Buy at the time, and I got a good discount on all 3. I'd like to use 3 amps. I'd like to use JL or Alpine amps. Any recomendations on models that would best match my subs?

W3V2 is an entry level sub? How so? This is news to me! I never heard those two words in the same sentence before.

rdaudio 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2006 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  

entry sub = stamped basket =low power handeling =not an sq sub 

spl sub= cast basket = stiffer cone = dual spider = much larger coil for power handeling=

Revolution Design Audio
aznboi3644 
Posted: June 15, 2006 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
Old school w6's were stamped steel and they are sq subs.
Also Steven Kephart doesn't recommend dual spiders cuz they magnify nonlinearities in the suspension.
Not all stamped steel basket subs are low power handling.
EXAMPLE is the Adire Audio Tempests series. They are stamped steel.
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  

yeah, I didn't think they were entry level. And besides, the 3 I got - they kick, and they kick HARD! They are in a sealed fiberglass enclosure, and they sound really good.

So, being I have the power capable of handling the load, I will stick with a 3 amp setup, and I want to stick with JL as well. With 15W3V2's - which amp should I get to power each sub? 500/1? 1000/1?

aznboi3644 
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
500/1 would do fine...I mean are you willing to shell out the dough for 3 1000/1's.
Also if your going for SPL ditch the sealed box and custom build a vented/ported enclosure designed for SPL.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic