icon

Do Caps cause engine noise?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dspoppa 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2006 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
My system went nuts last night, the subs started pounding uncontrolably and a high pitched engine noise started in all the speakers. I thought I might have blown another amp, but I took the sub amp out and I still have the engine noise.  Everything was working great with no problems and I had been driving about 20 minutes or so, and then all of a sudden it all went nuts, I wasn't even listening to it loud about level 9 or so.   I have a Pioneer DEH-80mp head unit, 4 Pioneer 4 ways in the doors and rear roof, 6 11/2" tweeters, a Vibe 600 watt 4 channel amp, 2 kicker 15" L7's, a Mark Anthony 3000D mono-block, 3 8" boss monitors, a slim PS2, conected to the head unit by a CB-10(aux. input by Pioneer) and a Boss signal booster for the monitors.  and a 100 farad cap by Lanzar, model # Opticap1000.  I don't  know if it matters but I have 0 gauge running from the batt. to the cap. and 4 gauge from the cap to the 2 amps. and the amps and cap are grounded to the bolts that bolt down the back seats. Please help I can't stand having the noise and not having my bump.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
Do you have a good ground connection? As in did you scrape away all paint until you have bare metal then ground the amps to the bare metal?
black78ta 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds very similar to an install I did in a boat about a year ago.  The guys system was making a crazy screaming noise so we switched out everything in his system until we finally figured out that there was something was wrong with the cap and feeding back on everything else.  It drove us nuts!
dspoppa 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah I've got real good grounds, so a cap can cause something like what I 've got going on? I'll have to take it out tomorrow and see what happens. thanks

dspoppa 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I don't think its the cap, I took it out and still had the engine noise.  But as I was removing speaker leads from the 4 channelm the front 2 channels where fine, came off with no problems, but as soon as I touched the rear channel with the screw driver I got this loud cop siren sound from the speakers.  Also with one wire to that channel still hooked up when I touched the wire that was off with my finger I got a strange noise through the same speaker.  When I touched the other rear channel with the screw driver the noise went away for a split second but came back.  So wouldn't that mean the 4 channel is bad?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic