icon

Window laws?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
First off I would like to apoligize if this topic doesnt belong in here. I wasnt really sure where it should go.
My question is, are there any laws stating you have to have more than just a windshield and the front windows in a vehicle? I may be aqcquiring a old station wagon and I want to remove all of the windows from the rear doors to the back hatch window and fillthem in solid to make a better SPL vehicle. Anyone have any link sor any info? thanks!
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
I'm sure the law will be different depending on your state.  I know in Texas, 35 % tint on the front windows is the only stipulation, so you could paint the back windows black if you wanted to.  With that being the case, I don't see why you couldn't just put sheet metal there.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
I was pretty sure it would be ok since they have work vans with no windows except for up front. Where might I go to find the state laws?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 6:04 AM / IP Logged  
You might try asking a local inspection site- maybe they could tell you where to look.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
I was wondering this same thing before and in Canada I found out that as long as you have a windshield and front windows and 2 side mirrors your ok. Thats also providing you dont have passangers behind those front seats. So for an SPL vehicle its fine, but if you were to take your 8 seat station wagon and weld in sheet metal in place of the windows and continued hauling around all your friends in the back, then thats illegal.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2006 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
In my state, Louisiana, the law varies depending on the type of vehicle. All passenger cars both 2 or 4 doors have 50% limit on the front doors, 30% on the rear doors and any side glass, and 20% on the back window. But here's where the law is kinda vague. As long as the vehicle can be considered a "truck" , "van", "suv", or a "station wagon", it can slip thru the grip of the passenger car rules. The only law you have to worry about is the front doors can be tinted no more than 50%. Any and all side and rear windows(if any) can be as dark as you want. oh, and all vehicles have to abide by the same law regarding the front windsheild. About 6 inches or so from the top, the will be printed on the glass "AS1" with a small line and an arrow below it. Some vehicles this is on the drives side, some on the passeger side, anyways the law says you cant have any tint below this AS1 line. Go figure.
bigfoot286 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
CutDog504 wrote:
In my state, Louisiana, the law varies depending on the type of vehicle. All passenger cars both 2 or 4 doors have 50% limit on the front doors, 30% on the rear doors and any side glass, and 20% on the back window. But here's where the law is kinda vague. As long as the vehicle can be considered a "truck" , "van", "suv", or a "station wagon", it can slip thru the grip of the passenger car rules. The only law you have to worry about is the front doors can be tinted no more than 50%. Any and all side and rear windows(if any) can be as dark as you want. oh, and all vehicles have to abide by the same law regarding the front windsheild. About 6 inches or so from the top, the will be printed on the glass "AS1" with a small line and an arrow below it. Some vehicles this is on the drives side, some on the passeger side, anyways the law says you cant have any tint below this AS1 line. Go figure.
also if it goes beond that line you insurence company does not have to cover cost of an acdent. my friend looked in to it for his vcar he was gonna tint the hole front winshield green but he was told no coverager lots of jail time and if he got in a wreck he would die cause the tint makes it so the window wont break right or something to that effect
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
I had my tint put on professionally by a local installer and they went below the line on my windshield by about an inch or 2. I just keep the receipt and everything in my glove box incase i ever get questioned.
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

You can do a search for windows tint laws and get tons of hits. Here's one www.tintdude.com/laws.html. From what I've seen, many states don't care what you have blocking the windows behind the driver compartment as long as you have driver and passenger side mirrors.

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic