icon

06 4runner remote start w/factory remote

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brantatchison 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

I am a fairly experienced installer with years of audio and security installs however I am unsure of what I am looking for can be done.  To start off, I like all the functions of the factory keyless; the priority door unlocking, turning off the headlights when the lock button is hit twice in a row and the audible confirmation with the siren it has. 

Now that I want the remote start I am left with a dilema.....how to get the factory remote to work with a remote start.

What I have done:

I bought a Directed Electronics Valet 561r, it has the ability to receive a pulse anywhere from 1-2-3 to activate the remote start therefore there is no need to use the remote supplied with the system.  My plan was to set it for 3 pulses to start this way when I push the lock button once it locks the doors, twice will turn off the head lights and three times to start!  All of this will work and I have already confirmed it by doing the work already.

The problem:

Unlocking the doors!!  It appears that once the 4runner is running the factory keyless receives an input (I believe it is the ignition input wire for the factory keyless??) that prevents the keyless remote from unlocking the doors.  The only way in the car now is by using the key. 

The questions:

Has anyone sucessfully installed a remote start using only the factory remotes on a 06 4runner?  Any idea as to where the factoy keyless module is or if it can be interupted to trick the keyless system into thinking the car is still off and ready to unlock on command?  Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the keyless module on an 06 4runner?  Does anyone have a list of the features that can be changed on the keyless system at the dealership using their scanner?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of range does the factory transmitter have? I have always wondered about doing it this way (using the factory transmitter to trigger a remote start) I just have never been impressed with the range of any factory setup. My 06 honda for example....it SUCKS
brantatchison 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

This is the first factory system that I would have to say that I do not want to part with.  Not exactly sure on the range but it appears to work just fine when I have had the need to use it from a distance, I'll test it later today.  Just too many features to give up with out haveing to spend more time on the install and more money in parts!  I know I can get all of theses features again with a new system but why waste the money and time if you don't have to!  Maybe someone out there has tried this or has access to the data that perhaps I can share to others.

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2006 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
The Factory keyless is built into the ECM, there's no way to make it unlock while running. You must use the key to unlock whenever it is remote started. This is a problem with all new Toyota's and Honda's.....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
smurf 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2006 at 5:45 AM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 is right! You got little options because of this.
You can either use the key or go James Bond on your car and set it to unlock some other way. You might consider a small magnet attached to the back of the remote and a magnetic switch hidden on the inner part of the exterior door handle. Switch ingages when you wave the "majic wand". Tap it to the switch itself via ground to activate relay setup! ...or use the key.06 4runner remote start w/factory remote - Last Post -- posted image.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 16, 2006 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
I found some information for you on component locations, but I cannot find wiring diagrams; sorry.
A diagram I have shows the "Door Control Receiver" as being located in the driver's D-pillar, just above the taillight.
Probably, you can look at that module for a wire that tests as ignition, and interrupt it during remote start.
The 561T you installed should have a yellow wire that outputs ignition ONLY when the remote starter is off; it should work if you just cut the Toyota's ignition wire at the keyless module, and connect the 561T's yellow to the keyless module.
If you don't have that yellow wire, use the status wire with a relay, to break the keyless module's ignition feed during remote start.
Also, is yours a Limited, with factory alarm? And if so, you must have triggered the keysense wire, right? That's going to be a problem----even with the ignition off, the keysense wire will also keep the factory remotes from working.
mrgaddet 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2006 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
Did you ever get this to work? I'm looking at doing it myself on a RAV4, but I don't have to worry about the chipkey. Any luck?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 23, 2006 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
I couldn't get it to work. Details are in my reply to mrgaddet about his RAV4.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic