icon

the right amp for my sub setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
splkota 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
I have 3 Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 12" subs (dual 4's)(500 watts rms and 1000 watts peak) and they are wired for a 2.67 ohm load. Right now they are powered by a rockford 1500bd amp pushing around 1200 watts or so at that ohm load. I'm looking for an amp that would give me around 2000 watts at that load to make sure that my subs get their rms power plus a little extra and I was wondering what amp I should get that would give me the power I want. Thanks for any information provided.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  

Not recommending amplifiers, but I will point out that those subs don't need nearly RMS power to sound their best.  If you think about it, you would rarely ( if ever ) hear them with a full 2000 watts.  It's highly doubtful you hear them with 1200 watts much.

I think the impedance load / power into this sub combination, as you have it now, is optimal.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
splkota 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
Very true, you never would hear them with that much power under normal circumstances. The only reason I'm looking for power is that I'm trying to build this system for SPL competition which is why I'm trying to find that much power. But as far as normal listening, your right in that they don't need all that power to sound very good.
ushank 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
try using HiFonics you can't go wrong with these amps, because they go as big as you would want or need to go .  I would not recomend it if I wouldn't use it.  www.maxxsonics.com to find a dealer in your area.
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
I've heard the newer Hifonics amps aren't that great. Definitely not as good as some of their older stuff.
I think it might be cheaper to buy three seperate amps that do around 700watts rms@2ohms than it would be to buy an amp that does 2000watts rms@~3ohms.
ushank 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2006 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have not tried them for the 2006 but I own a 2005 brutus 2000 and it does more than enough.  Try ebay or a local quick sale web page.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic