icon

too much power?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whitley1981 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2006 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
i have a 97 prelude that i will be running a 300 watt 4 channell and a 600-700 rms amp. i know ya'll say get a bigger alternator but cant afford one. some of the guys on a prelude site says that my stock alt will be plenty that they have bigger systems with more watts running on a stock alt. with no problem. you think that it is to much power?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2006 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  

Well, if you can't afford a new alt, you will just have to wait and see what happens. I have about 1400 wrms on my stock honda alt as my ho alt is acting up. Yes I experience some light dimming but so far no major problems, bu then again who knows when my computer will fry.

One thing that is often over looked by people is that you will not be drawing the max current by the amps at all times, when you have the volume down it will be lower, and during musical breaks it will go down, also less bass heavy music has an effect. The current draw is always changing, never constant.

supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2006 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
Like dwarren said, you should be fine. Just use common sense. Don't sit idle with the stereo blasting, a/c on, etc. As long as you're riding along you should be able to play it like you want to. You'll probably see a little light dimming, but you'll have to live with that until you can afford the HO alternator. Upgrade the "big 3". That'll help some.
'85 Toy
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2006 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
What about capacitors as well? (around $80 1.0 Farad) Let the capacitors charge up, and the amp will pull it's "massive withdrawals" from there instead of dimming the lights by sucking current from the alternator..
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
supradude 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2006 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
Read the posts on the forum on caps before you waste your money on one. Save up and get the HO alt.
'85 Toy
whitley1981 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
thanx guys.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 17, 2006 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
Amps have internal capacitor banks anyway.
christopher0418 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
you definitely dont need another alternator. I had a memphis 75X4 and a 500d with the stock battery and alt. Put a stinger 1 farad cap on it lights never dimmed at all even at idle. Save some money buy a 1 farad cap and if your battery is old replace it .
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
nooooooooo, dont listen to him... caps are baddd
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
supradude 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
Like I said before, the stock alternator with the big 3 upgrade should do it for you. And save up for the HO alternator. You'll want more power later if you are like most people, so spend wisely.
'85 Toy
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic