the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Amp Shuts Down after being on for a while

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Walkercustoms 
Copper - Posts: 219
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
I just have a quick question. We installed an XSITE 2000watt rms MONO amp on 2 AudioPipe SPL subs and they guy just called back after about a week and told me that when he turns it on it sounds good and slams put after a while the subs will shut off and when he turns the HU down the subs will kick back it. What I think the problem is that the amp is not getting enough power from his elec. system and causing the amp to shut down. I am going to put the volt meter to the amp and see what happens voltage wise at the amp. Do you think this is a good thing to do or am I wasting time. We are running 4ga to both + and - and running the subs 2ohms which them amp handels with out a problem. We did crank the gain wide open so, I don't think them amp is causing the problem. I believe it is voltage at the amp.
Thanks
Wade
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  

i would tend to suspect an impedence problem.....      what load is the amp seeing??  2 ohms x 2 in parallel is a 1 ohm load which will shut that baby down every time... or is the total load 2 ohms?  this may still be too low for that amp...

you may also want to set the gain properly, not crank it wide open....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
Ditto the above, and you may want to measure the voltage at the amplifier terminals when the amp shuts down.  Could also be an overloaded alternator.
Support the12volt.com
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
I had that happen and it was a problem with the alternator. Once I got it rebuilt the problem went away.
'85 Toy
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
Xsite is audiobahn right?
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  

Walkercustoms wrote:
We did crank the gain wide open so, I don't think them amp is causing the problem. 

What makes you think that wouldnt be a problem. Gain is not a volume knob. Read the sticky on how to properly set the gains.

"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Walkercustoms wrote:
We did crank the gain wide open so, I don't think them amp is causing the problem. I believe it is voltage at the amp.
Thanks
Wade
Sorry, but do you know how to set the gain on an amplifier?
Walkercustoms 
Copper - Posts: 219
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2006 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

I am really sorry I ment to say we did not crank the gain and yes I know that is not a volume knob.  The subs are dual 4ohm running + to + and - to - which is 1ohm which the amp will handle.  That is what Xsite says that is why he wanted it.  It is a Mono 2000rms amp at 1ohm.  I am sorry I was at work when I wrote to above and they (Big Brother) likes to see where we go on the net and bust are asses when we are not on ligit work sites.  We did NOT crank the gain.  That is why I think its a voltage issue.  Sorry for the mixup on the words.

Thanks

Wade

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
Amp could be overheating...bump it until it shuts off and feel the amp...if it burns you than it might be getting too hot.
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with azn. I ran an RF800a2 that was "rated" for 2 ohm. Played great for a while, but would overheat like a biatch! If you needed to conceal your identity, one touch would do it.

Hmmm...just realized...I'm probably beating a "close to dead" thread here.

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic