icon

Airbag Light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bassplayer24_7 
Copper - Posts: 40
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
i have a 2000 ford ranger and i removed the passengers side airbag (i'm going to fiberglass a crossover there), and the airbag light came on, how do i turn it off or do i. i was thinking about taking the bulb out and putting electrical tape over it to cover the light. i removed it and it beeped util i put it back in. any suggestions? thanks in advance
(2) 12" JL W3V3
(1) 6" JL W0
Phoenix Gold Octane R 8.0:1
Phoenix Gold Octane R 2.0:1
Phoenix Gold Octane R 5.0:4
Clarion Crossover
JVC Head Unit
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2006 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
The best advice is to put the aibag back in. If  I am not mistaking its against the law to remove them. Also it puts the passenger in more danger if you get into a accident.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 21, 2006 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  

Here in the states it's not against the law for the consumer to remove them.  It would only be illegal for a professional to do it for you.  I defeated the air bags on my Saturn so my nieces and nephews can ride with me without fear of getting smacked by an air bag. 

Since you cannot just do that, measure the resistance of the bulb, and wire a resistor of that value across the two wires.  You'll have to use a power resistor- since it's probably a 2-3 watt bulb, you'll have to use a resistor of at least that power rating.  Check and see. 

Alternatively, you could carefully disassemble the cluster, and put a piece of electrical tape over the back side of the gauge face where the light is.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
bassplayer24_7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2006 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
geepherder wrote:

Here in the states it's not against the law for the consumer to remove them. It would only be illegal for a professional to do it for you. I defeated the air bags on my Saturn so my nieces and nephews can ride with me without fear of getting smacked by an air bag.

Since you cannot just do that, measure the resistance of the bulb, and wire a resistor of that value across the two wires. You'll have to use a power resistor- since it's probably a 2-3 watt bulb, you'll have to use a resistor of at least that power rating. Check and see.

Alternatively, you could carefully disassemble the cluster, and put a piece of electrical tape over the back side of the gauge face where the light is.

power resistor? whats the difference between a power resistor and a regular resistor. thanks
(2) 12" JL W3V3
(1) 6" JL W0
Clarion Crossover
JVC Head Unit
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 22, 2006 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  

Resistors also have power ratings, usually something like 1/4 or 1/2 a watt.  If you use a resistor that's too small, it won't dissipate enough heat, and will fry.  A higher power rated resistor will be physically larger, letting it carry more current (and therefore power), and dissipate more heat.

I'd recommend trying the electrical tape first.  If your bulb uses a pigtail socket, then it shouldn't be too difficult to wire in a resistor.  If it uses the pcb contacts on the cluster to power it (like on my car), it's a little more difficult.  You'd probably have to destroy the factory bulb, and solder jumpers onto the contacts to do your wiring.  If you know the wattage rating of the bulb (or can easily find out), you can just wire in a socket for another bulb of that value, and secure it somewhere easily accessible behind the dash.  Just make sure it won't move around freely and it has room to breathe.  If you can't do the tape thing, though, I'd use a resistor.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
bassplayer24_7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2006 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
geepherder wrote:

Resistors also have power ratings, usually something like 1/4 or 1/2 a watt. If you use a resistor that's too small, it won't dissipate enough heat, and will fry. A higher power rated resistor will be physically larger, letting it carry more current (and therefore power), and dissipate more heat.

I'd recommend trying the electrical tape first. If your bulb uses a pigtail socket, then it shouldn't be too difficult to wire in a resistor. If it uses the pcb contacts on the cluster to power it (like on my car), it's a little more difficult. You'd probably have to destroy the factory bulb, and solder jumpers onto the contacts to do your wiring. If you know the wattage rating of the bulb (or can easily find out), you can just wire in a socket for another bulb of that value, and secure it somewhere easily accessible behind the dash. Just make sure it won't move around freely and it has room to breathe. If you can't do the tape thing, though, I'd use a resistor.

thanks for the explanation, i'll try the electrical tape it should work fine, thanks for the help
(2) 12" JL W3V3
(1) 6" JL W0
Clarion Crossover
JVC Head Unit
bassplayer24_7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
thanks