icon

schooling

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Trent109 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2003 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

i was wanting to go to school to learn all there is to know about auto installations, and i would like to become MECP certified, my questions is where can i get information about going to schools for this profession??

Trent

Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2003 at 3:23 AM / IP Logged  
Check your local library.
Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
SnomanF150 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2003 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

The VERY BEST you can do is hands on learning.. what we do day in and day out is not taught in ANY school.. I have had people in my shop come in from those school and they are a joke.. I usually tell them to forget everything that they learned and I will teach you.. you give them something like a caddie where a 99-4012 will not work or an older one where a 99-2001 fits, but you have to make it work.. and they just panic.. get to a shop, be an apprentice (otherwise, known as my bitch! LOL) do the crap work, running wires, underhood work for alarms, single amp installs, and it will all come to you faster than any school can teach you.  You will learn the basics there, in the real world of installing car stereo/alarms, nothing is the same.. you can work on the same TYPE of car for a week straight and not do the same thing to each one. I started out YEARS ago with my first car.. 82 Camaro put in a Sanyo Cassette deck, Sound Creation 200 EQ, Concord 100 watt amp on 2 8's ported in rear hatch, and of course, the Jenson Tri-ax 6x9 (those where the sh*t back then!)  and was hooked from then on.. my mom and dad hated it.. I was wasting my money.. Soon I was doing all my friends cars in the back yard.. then decided I could make a little beer money while in collage.. sort of did a little word of mouth work, then one to mobile one in New Orleans in the late 80's..

Point being, find a shop, talk to the install manager, ge tto know him, offer to help him run some wires, ask if he needs any help around the shop (tax season is coming up, they will need some help, it's like christmas all over again!) May be working for minimun for a little while, but stick with it... You don't get great overnight.. Just take in EVERYTHING!

George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
lisn4me 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2003 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
i went to the installer institude and had installed for a couple of years prior
Jason Browne
themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  

I'll go with Snoman, school sucks - the only true way to learn is by doing hands on. I started out working for Best Buy install, 2 days into the job they put me on opening bymyself and i had a huge remote start schedualed. Let me tell ya, I learned how to do a remote start in a hurry. Now I can do them without even thinking about it.

SnomanF150 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
Oh and another thing about 'schooled' installers.. they think they know EVERYTHING
George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

very true

Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2003 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
Hands on is the way to go.
Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2003 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
i agree that the schools do give you a false sense of confidence....the best is to get a job as an installer.....your big box places like best buy and circuit city are the easiest places for the beginner to get a job at ...they have a bigger budget for installers to mess up cars, so you have room to learn about the basics.....because those shops are all deck and four.....then if you wanna learn the other stuff you can get a job at a smaller shop that does higher end jobs......you can go to school in there some where to learn the math side of the job and some basic ideas on how to do stuff .......most of the time the schools don't have the and are a little behind on the times and wont teach you the hottes trends, fastest ways to do things .......they are good for a person who wants to expand their knowledge, but not to rely on that as you only means of getting and keeping  an installer job.
SnomanF150 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2003 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

ya know when I first posted that long ass message about the schools, I figured I would be slammed hard about it.. since that remark 'take everything you learned in the school and forget it' was in there..   Unreal....

Give me a newbie that wants to learn what I know anyday..not someone from Installer Institute that wants to tell me 'why don't you do it this way, moron.... "

George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic