icon

putting tv in my car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 4:51 AM / IP Logged  

well i am very new to this whole tv thing and i want to put one in my car along with a dvd player. i just want one tv to put in my  car and i am going to take it apart and put it in fiberglass to fit in my car. then i was just going to put the dvd player under my seat or somewere in the  car.

her is my question, i really dont kno anything about how to hook up a tv and a dvd player or anything like that. becuse i think i did and then i thought to myself how do i get the tv and dvd player to turn off when the car turns off, i cant figure that one out. also i dont know how i would be able to make the sound from the dvd player come out of my speakers in my car, all i can think of is there is an auxilury input on the back of my cd player that i could use.

so if someone could please help me out here and let me know how to start doing all this i would very thankful.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
Are you talking about using a "tv" and DVD player designed for the home in your car?  Or are you talking about installing a system designed for mobile use?
Support the12volt.com
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, well regardless of what it is, to get sound to the system you are just going to run RCA's from the dvd player to the aux input on the cd player and that takes care of your audio. To make it turn off with the car hook up the system to the access circuit in the vehicle as opposed to constant power and that will take care of that.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
ok what is the accsess circuit in my car? i have no idea what that is. and i was looking at using a mobile dvd player not one for home audio.
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
dude no offense but it sounds like you are in way over your head.  You might want to let a stereo shop do the work for you.
oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 2:48 AM / IP Logged  
or i could just do it myself if i really want to like i do. all i need to kno is what to do. or if i really wanted to i could go out and buy some $30 book that will explain what i have to do or i could just ask people that know what they are doing for free.
rayze78 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
Do it yourself man.  Dont let anyone tell you that you cant.  I put one in my Explorer last summer and it was a very fun project.  I removed part of the front console and made my own console that housed my LCD screen inside of it.  I made the console out of 1/8" handy board (its flexible), 1/4 board (like from pegboards), some black vinyl and some foam padding to go under the vinyl.  The console cost less than $20 to make and it came out pretty good.  Most of it was planning.

I actually used a compact house style DVD player under the rear seat.  At first, I used a wireless FM modulator for sound....which SUCKED.  I have tried the best and worst ones, and in my opinion they all sound like crap.  But its ok for temp use.  Eventually I got a CD player with direct aux inputs. 

I dont really 'need' a TV, I just wanted to see if I could do it.  I did it, and it was fun.   Dont let anyone talk you out of it.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry I ment the accesory circuit in the vehicle. Its the wire in the column or the wire behind the deck that only shows 12 volts when the key is turned on.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
ridin4jesus 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2006 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
Or you could always do what i did and install a ps2 in your ride. It plays the games and dvds, hook up one of those pelican remotes in the controller slot and your good to go, and the sound is great.
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2006 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
How I learned was watching someone do it. There are tons of things online. But the problem is that you are going to have a alot of questions.  I think this forum was desgned to answer the questions you have during the coarse of hooking it up (i could be wrong though).  But outlining the process on here step by step I doubt someone will do man.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic