the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

You’re and Your

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
I see "your" used instead of "you're" a lot on line. Maybe this is just a pet-peeve of mine, but why is it so widely misused?
Your
adj. The possessive form of you.
Used as a modifier before a noun: your boots; your accomplishments.
A person's; one's: The light switch is on your right.
Informal. Used with little or no sense of possession to indicate a type familiar to the listener: your basic three-story frame house.
You're
Contraction of you are. You're welcome.
~wirewise~
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  

I agree, poor usage is a pet peeve of mine as well.  Along with the misuse of "your" another big one for me is the misuse of "it's".  "It's" with the apostrophe is a contraction of "it is."  The possessive form is "its" without an apostrophe,  Proper usage: "It's a shame when a speaker blows its voice coil." 

Or how about: "It's a shame when you're so ignorant of proper amplifier usage that your speaker blows its voice coil."  You’re and Your -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

The number one pet-peeve of mine is...

"Wow, I ran into Chip Foose at the car show, and we were conversating for twenty minutes about wheel design."

The proper usage is "conversing" or converse.

People kill me with .... "call me later, we can conversate about the stereo install" ....... "the women at the club, loved me for some reason last weekend, and I was just conversating with them."

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 02, 2006 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  

This is funny because there are some new ways of saying things now due to the huge amount of internet conversating ( You’re and Your -- posted image. ).  "Agreeance" is a favorite of mine because, while it is not a word, it somehow pokes fun at internet forum word usage when it is said with all seriousness.  Sort of like an inside joke.  Someone says something, you reply "agreeance".  The big problem with these tongue-in-cheek spelling variations is that a new generation of people are growing up with a much greater confusion of proper spelling than I dealt with in my early years.

Agreeance to that.

But I do have a question:  does it save a lot of time by using "nebody" instead of "anybody"??  You’re and Your -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2006 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
Agreeance ;)
You’re and Your -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2006 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for raising this very important point, wirewise...
I too, hate improper grammar and spelling... I guess I was just raised in a different time. Yes, pet peeve is a good description.
I also REALLY hate when people end a sentence with a preposition: "Where you at?" ARRRRGH!!!! I will correct them: "Where am I?", and THEN tell them my location.
Odd, really, because I always hated english class, but at least I paid attention (mostly...).
two: A quantity.
too: Also, in addition
to: In a direction toward so as to reach
their, there, they're
It is very difficult to speak correctly in today's day and age, because when/if you do speak correctly, people think of you as snobby, or too good for them. I always have to remember a line I heard on The History Channel... it was a program on the history of the english language. The line was:
"Language serves us, we do not serve language. It is a dynamic tool, that is almost alive, and constantly adapting."
Small consolation, really... Still, I hate dangling prepositions.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2006 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
I used to use your instead of you're all the time. Until I was chatting with this Artificial Intellegence chatting thing. (OK I have too much time on my hands)
So when you're chatting with AI what else is there to do but talk doodie. So I tell the thing "Your and idiot" and the reply from the AI bot was "Atleast I know the difference between your and you're." Man, so after I got clowned by a robot. I vowed never to make that mistake again.
Here's the link:
http://demo.vhost.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk-oddcast?botid=a790040cee34ad02
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2006 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  

For myself, being the smart arse that I am (most of the time right Jeff), I cannot stand the posts by members that abbreviate and use slang for everything they write. This just drives me up the wall to the point that I would like to e-smack them upside the head.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2006 at 3:59 AM / IP Logged  
While I hate e-slang ie LOL and IC, I cant hate on the grammer thing becuase I am a horrible speller and have horrible grammer. Its not on purpose, im just simple ;)
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2006 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
Well, you are all in luck today (I could have also use the abbreviated you're) Recently a rather interesting site run by some rather cunning linguists has come to my attention:
The Language Log
This should keep anyone entertained for hours.....
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic