icon

soldering speaker wire to speaker

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mech3 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
I believe i was told a long time ago that its a bad idea to solder the speaker with directly to the positive and negative leads because the heat can damage the voice coil. Is this true, i am planning on redoing all my wire runs for my mids and hi's and was thinking about soldering the connections if it wont damage the speakers.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
The heat can cause the glue to fail, the plastic to melt.  The voice coil is not the issue.  I use only F-disconnects of the proper size to connect speakers.  I want to be able to disconnect them from the wiring at will.  But I know a lot of experienced pros solder the wires onto them.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
mech3 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2006 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the reply, i was thinking of soldering the connections just for the best possible connection. That makes sense about the heat causing the glue to fail etc. Im thinking if you tin the wire and dont hold the iron to the speaker terminal for a prolonged time it should be safe, well we will see. On a seperate note, do you installers out there prefer silver speaker wire over copper. I recently replaced my sub speaker wire with stinger expert series silver speaker wire and I really believe i heard a difference. I ordered up 75 feet of 14 gauge silver speaker wire to redo my mids and highs so hopefully i'll notice a difference. I just was wondering all of your proffessional opinions-
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2006 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
some people claim they notice a difference. Usually more of am impact on mids/highs. maybe you will notice it there too!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2006 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
You won't notice a difference.
Support the12volt.com
jmac279 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2006 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  

You shouldn't be holding it there long enough to cause it to heat up significantly, anyways ...  If you do, you need to work on your soldering skills ...

Of course, I wouldn't solder the wire to the terminals, anyways.

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2006 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

mech3 wrote:
On a seperate note, do you installers out there prefer silver speaker wire over copper. I recently replaced my sub speaker wire with stinger expert series silver speaker wire and I really believe i heard a difference. I ordered up 75 feet of 14 gauge silver speaker wire to redo my mids and highs so hopefully i'll notice a difference. I just was wondering all of your proffessional opinions-

There is really no reason to use anything other than copper wire, and no real reason to use anything larger that 16 AWG.  There is no meaningful measurable difference in signal integrity between silver, copper, silver-plated copper, oxygen-free copper, or solid gold wire.  Most reported differences "heard" by people are completely subjective and at least partly due to the listener desiring to hear a difference (AKA the placebo effect.)  All genuine double-blind tests that I have ever seen or read about support the fact that people cannot reliably hear any real difference in speaker wires - or between interconnect cables, for that matter.

If it makes you feel better, if you believe you hear a difference, or if you simply like the looks of it, more power to you.  But my recommendation is to spend your money on better speakers (no matter what you're currently using) before spending it on expensive or esoteric wire.

Support the12volt.com
jmac279 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2006 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
... no real reason to use anything larger that 16 AWG. 
1200 watts @ 1 ohm
DYohn 
Posted: June 29, 2006 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

jmac279 wrote:
DYohn wrote:
1200 watts @ 1 ohm

Correct.  16AWG.  Typical losses would be less than 0.3db with 1200 watts into 1 ohm.  Only an issue if you are a serious competitor.

Support the12volt.com
jmac279 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2006 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

jmac279 wrote:
DYohn wrote:
1200 watts @ 1 ohm

Correct.  16AWG.  Typical losses would be less than 0.3db with 1200 watts into 1 ohm.  Only an issue if you are a serious competitor.

Theoretical voltage loss, and subsequent output loss, based on resistance at room temperature ...  16 gauge would heat up significantly with 34.6 amperes going through it ...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic