icon

4 batteries, 2 caps, stock alternator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
Since this is a mini van is there even a row of seats left? judging from the sheer amount of stuff you have and everything needs air space... how many people can drive in the vehicle still?
Two?
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Haemphyst, I think you just gave him some major 3rd degree burns haha...wow.
Good job though.
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2006 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  

I think you guys are bashing without explaining to him

the reason people say batt's and cap's don't fix problems like YOU are expecting is because they are temporary band aids.

the reason it DOES sound good is because those batteries are supplying the neccessary power for your system to run. BUT, say for example the batteries run dead... Then you will notice the suffering sound quality and volume when the system begins to pull more current than available.

This is why people recommend high current alternators and upgrading the big three when you do high end or big powered systems.

would you put a band aid on a 9" cut? or would you get stitches at the doctor..

that's the question..

one will heal with a scar. the other will do much better in the long run!

peace kneegrows

qnretail 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2006 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you, bazzgazm, for getting to the real point of this thread. I was hesitant to post the details of my speaker set-up because I knew I would get such criticism. I should say that the first upgrade I did to the power system was to upgrade the big 3. Before any of the batteries or caps, I did my research and made sure I had all the proper gauge wiring and in the right places. The batteries and caps went in next because I already had them. I sell a lot of this stuff on ebay and I do local installs as well so I have a lot of these components already on hand.  I really just wanted to figure out what the reasoning was behind so many posts bashing multiple battery systems and capacitors. You guys have done a good job explaining this and I appreciate you taking the time to share your wisdom. As far as the speaker system is concerned.. as I said, it's just an 'experiment' and as you can imagine, the cancellation issues have been my biggest obstacle thus far. I'll let you know how it all turns out..

What would you recommend I get for a high output alternator in a '97 Plymouth Grand Voyager? Oh, and yes.. the minivan seats two at this point. I stripped the van and put dynamat on everything other than the ceiling. I was thinking about dynamatting the roof, but didn't know if that would make a noticeable difference or not. I then built my speaker enclosures to spec and built them into a wall towards the rear of the vehicle facing backwards. My amp rack is made of clear acrylic and is in the center of the vehicle. This leaves room for the two front seats which is all I care to have anyway.

2 x DD9515f's, Digital Designs Z1 amplifier
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2006 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
If you hunt around you can find people who rebuilt alternators w/ factory casings to your specs.
Ohio gen has been solid. expect to pay around 350 for a 225 cold rated alternator from them, but it will fit.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic