icon

WinISD and Cone Excursion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
newguy_84 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2006 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
Im currently designing a box for my subs which are Clarion PXW1242s. I have an Alpine CDA-9853 for a source unit and currently no amp (I want to find out box size before I choose what amp so I can get the right power for it). Im just wondering, Im using WinISD to plan out the box and I would like to know whether I should design the enclosure so that the subs reach max cone excursion with or without EQ engaged. Is it better to be lower without it on or at peak with max EQ settings. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2006 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
It is best to NOT reach max cone excursion at all... but it you do, it should be under worst-case actual operating conditions.
Support the12volt.com
newguy_84 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2006 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, thanks. Then my next question is: Is there a safe value to use when deciding how far to stay below max when using WinISD, because my max is about .47. So should I be around .45 or lower? Is there a safe number to always use?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 02, 2006 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

Notes:  EQ settings - max should be at flat.  Lower EQ settings, don't raise them.  Output should not be affected as greater by using the EQ, if anything it should be less.

Use RMS of the combination of subs, and the impedance the combination will create, to choose the right amplifier.  For example, two dual 4's for a 4 ohm load onto a two-channel amp...three SVC 4's onto a 1-ohm stable mono amp...etc.  See https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp  Use the cone excursion graph for the purpose of pushing subs to the limit for competition purposes.  If that is what you are after, max SPL for comps, an EQ shouldn't be a part of the equation.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2006 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
No, and every speaker is different.  Plus programs like Win ISD only estimate speaker performance.  In general, try to design so excursion never exceeds max anywhere in the performance band.  It can go right up to it and generally you will be OK.
Support the12volt.com
newguy_84 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2006 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
OK thanks. Now my next question; On my Apline CDA-9853, it has a seperate Subwoofer control other than the EQ, now with that, does it just bring it up to the max of what I have estimated it being at when I crank it to the max of 15 whereas 0 on the dial is min or no sub, OR is O where I have it estimated and cranking it up to 15 increases everything beyond what is modeled? ie Max cone excursion. Thanks again to everyone who responded.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 04, 2006 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
The sub level control does not control cone excursion.
All it does is raise the pre out voltage...The gain on the amp is used to match this.
newguy_84 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2006 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
Alrighty, thanks for the help everyone. WinISD and Cone Excursion -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic