icon

voltage regulator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mech3 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2006 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
I have been trying to upgrade my big three for quite some time and the problem is I could not locate my voltage reglulator on my 05' sebring 2.7l sedan. I was told that it was seperate from the alternator, but i believe i was misinformed. Do any of you car savy people out there know of a way to verify that my voltage regulator is part of the alternator ot not? I have traced all power lines in my engine, and there are no other devices that look like v-regulators at all so im thinking it has to be built into the alt. Once again my car is an 05 chrysler sebring sedan with a 2.7L v6. thanks
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2006 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
I'd be willing to bet money that it's built in... I don't think there has been a domestic car built in 15 years with an external regulator...
One way to check? Call the dealer and ask for one at the parts counter. I say call, because when they laugh out-loud, you have already saved face, AND you know your answer! voltage regulator -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2006 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
Thats what i was thinking about doing- thanks for the info. Seeing the car dealer I bought the car from is one of my clients, it would deinately be better to call !
mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2006 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
well, looks like it is built into the alt because i just upraded the big three to 1/0 gauge and it works great. I added the larger wires to the oem wires. Sounds great, thanks again
mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

I just checked the voltage at the amp after upgrading my big three and it reads 13.75v Before upgrading my big three I was in the 14.05 range. I checked at the alt and the voltage is 13.78v. I ohm'ed out all the grounds and they are .001. The last one I need to check is the engine ground at the point where it connects to the engine. Should I be concerned with this voltage, or is this to be expected? I disconnected all my secondary grounds and it made no difference. I read in the big 3 three sticky that the voltage should be 13.8v or greater, thats why im concerned

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
I'd not be terribly worried about that difference... Your meter could be off, your alternator might be working more efficiently (seeing less loss in the power cables), possibly others...
Still, wouldn't worry about it...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
mech3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
alright, thanks. I am somewhat obsessive compulsive with my system, and will constantly mess with things if I think anything is possibly wrong. Does an electrical system that has a current of say 13.8v running through weaker then an electrical system with 14.1v running through it, or does that just mean there is more efficiency throughout the system? I always have had the school of thought that If a system has a reading of 13.8v that it is weaker then the system with 14.1v running through it, and the alt in the 14.1v system is working better. I was really surprised to see the lower voltage reading as audibly I swear the system sounded a little better.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic