icon

Kicker L7 SB 15 and infinite baffle

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Focusedonsound 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 2000 Mustang GT Convertible and have 2 Kicker Solobaric L7 15 subs.
I would like to Run 1 of them in my car and thinking it would be great to run them Free air/infinite baffle. In the same breath! The volume of my trunk happens to be ~7.7 Cubic Feet.
Kicker States the following in their owneners manual/website.
Compact (ported enclosure)
3.0 cu.ft
SPL (Ported Enclosure)
4.5 cu.ft
SPL/Deep Bass (Ported Enclosure)
6.0 cu.ft
I do understand that by no means my trunk does not classify as a "Ported Enclosure" but was thinking of mounting the speaker "infinite baffle" Style.
Kicker L7 SB 15 and infinite baffle -- posted image.
The trunk pictured is actually of a coupe but I wanted to show the image because I would like to mount the speaker plate to the edge of the trunk line and seperate the front and back half of the trunk.
My questions are....
Is this going to work?
Is there something that I might be missing?
Thanks in advance for the help
Nick
Focusedonsound 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2006 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  
Does anyone have any input for me?
Focusedonsound 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
Am I missing something here? Did I forget to provide some information or something. I thought I was pretty through with my post.
Any information that can be provided would be a help!
Thanks
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
not to crap in your cereal. but we have done a couple of setups with 15s in the new mustangs one with two of the L7 15. And honestly we didnt want to do it but they said we were the only ones that would do it....(meaning we could charge whatever we wanted) so money always talks. But honestly it sounded horrible....like bad as in bad bad. LOUD but bad bad bad. And not completly sure but i would contact kicker on the IB question. they would know if the sub could be used in an application like that. what i would do is rethink equipment. go with a Good set of 10s. it will sound a whole lot better in that vehicle.
2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
Well since no-one chimed in yet, I have seen this done and it sound like crap.  Unless you can seal that trunk very, very well it would not work.
Focusedonsound 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
jvillefinest wrote:
not to crap in your cereal. but we have done a couple of setups with 15s in the new mustangs one with two of the L7 15. And honestly we didnt want to do it but they said we were the only ones that would do it....(meaning we could charge whatever we wanted) so money always talks. But honestly it sounded horrible....like bad as in bad bad. LOUD but bad bad bad. And not completly sure but i would contact kicker on the IB question. they would know if the sub could be used in an application like that. what i would do is rethink equipment. go with a Good set of 10s. it will sound a whole lot better in that vehicle.
not to be a Jerk. But are you refering to the quality of the speakers or the quality of your shops Install. In all of my years in car audio. Ive been using Kicker Subs they are far from the best speakers on the market but then again they sure are not the worst. I have had much succes with Kicker in the past and will continue to use their Subs.
I am currently running 1 Comp XPL in a sealed enclosure. However I was looking to get a little more volume.
Oh and the fact that these Subs are costing me nothing was another great selling point!
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 11, 2006 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
You missed the point completely.  No one told you your subs were garbage- it's just they're not meant for infinite baffle, which would sound horrible.  If you want more volume, redo your current setup with a slot ported box.  Read the sticky "Guide: Using WinISD".
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2006 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
I would only use infinite baffle if that was my last option. From my experience a good ported/sealed enclosure will sound better and be eaiser to build. If you have the space and the ability to build a good box that would be your best bet. I have done some research on the solo barics because I wanted to buy one but I hear they do not have good SQ but great SPL. What kind of amp do you plan on pushing the L7's with?
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2006 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  

i never said anything bad about your subs setup or car...i could but wont. all i said is no matter what you do with those 15s in that particular vehicle (in the trunk) it is more then likely not going to sound good. And it has nothing to do with my shop. It has something to do with equipment not fitting the application. But good luck with that one!

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic