icon

Stereo Short, What to look for?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
creyyegg 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
OK,  The ACC wire on my stereo shorted out and knocked the stereo out, the wipers, and the automatic window on the drivers side.  what do i look for.  I drive a 2002 Ford Taurus ses.  There are no popped fuses, but there are relays. could i have fried those. or does my car just need to be reset with the battery.  wife is on my ass and i need some help.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  

There is definitely a blown fuse somewhere.  Dig out your owner's manual or go see a mechanic. 

Another example of why people should never work on car stereo wiring with the battery connected.

Support the12volt.com
creyyegg 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
would a blown relay keep it from working to.  I have checked all the fuses and they seem fine, but the auto window relay is clicking and odesnt seem to be working.  would that affect the windshield wipers to?
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
check fuses under the hood.
Prove your connections, use a meter!
I promise, I'll behave!
creyyegg 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
checked ever fuse in the thing and nothing is burned thru.  i have checked the relays and they seem to have a few burn marks on them.  Do i have to change everyone of them now?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

Did you verify the fuse was good with a multimeter, or did you just look at it?  Sometimes a fuse looks okay but really is blown.  If you read voltage across the fuse (one side of fuse to other) while the key is turned, the fuse is blown.  If the stereo, wipers, and windows are on the same fuse, that's probably it.

On the other hand, I've learned to hate Ford products for their flaky electrical systems.  Here's one example why: a few days after fixing the wipers on my dad's car, the turn signals and a/c quit working.  No blown fuses, but somehow the ignition power to the multiswitch had been "lost".  Unable to find the culprit, I wired in a fused jumper directly from the ignition harness and all is good.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
creyyegg 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2006 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  

Yep just did the look at it.  I dont have a multimeter so I might have to find me one or take it to the dealer.  that would be the last resort.  Or i might just go and start changing fuses and hope it starts working.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 10, 2006 at 5:17 AM / IP Logged  
Well, a basic test light will do the same thing if you connect it across the fuse.  It should not come on, so if it does you know there's a problem.  That's how those fuses with lights work- they don't light up until the fuse is blown.  However, you can get a basic multimeter at RadioShack for around $20.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
creyyegg 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2006 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
OK, broke down and took it to the dealer.  Was a blown fuse and was changed but blew again.  they traced it to the stereo and said, and i quote, " Found connecotr pins bent over in aftermarket, radio wireharness.  Repaired pins in connector and reconnected. Factory wire harness has power and ground, radio still does not work.  Possible damage to radio when connectors were bent over".  Could i have blow up my brain unit.  I have a Alpine IVA-d300 and the poer harness from the car connects to the brain.  I am thinking the short burnt up my brain unit or could i have just burnt up my acc wire because i am still getting power from the Yellow power wire, but i am not getting one from the accessory wire when i turn my car on.  could a short burn up the wire or my brain unit or both?
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
If you have time, go ahead and just RMA it and get a new one pending there is no visible physical damage.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic