icon

Comp VR setup for my amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
studum 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys. I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what subs to run with my amp in my new car. I have pretty well decided on the Kicker Comp VR series. In my old car I had a pair of Kicker Comp 10's (05 Model) running off of an Infinity 310a mono amp, 300 watts x 1 @ 2 ohm. I was happy with that setup. Each of those subs were in its own 1.0 ft^3 box.
Unfortunately though I sold that setup with my old car (buyer wanted to drop the price of the vehicle more than what I paid for the setup otherwise, lol).
For my new car I have bought a Phoenix Gold Xenon x400.1 monoblock amp. Its birth certificate from PG shows 407.7 watts @ 14.34 volts @ 1kHz and has the CEA certificate for 410 watts @ 14.4 volts @ 1kHz. This amp has a stable output of 400 watts from 1 to 4 ohms, so I can pretty well acomadate anything.
I thought I'd step up to the Comp VRs with this car. What combo would you guys recommend to maximize the power availible? I'm open to any options from single or dual 10's or 12's. I've even thought about 8s, but won't that be a lot quieter than 10's or 12's? I like tighter bass.
If you'd like to know the rest of my setup my car is a 2000 Subaru Legacy, Pioneer DEH-P80MP HU which is powering Infinity 6010cs 6.5" components up front. The rears are stock, and are only turned on when I have passengers back there.
Thanks in advance for the input.
studum 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
I forgot to mention that I am temporarily running a single Infinity 1230w until I get my new sub/s. Its mounted inverted in a 1.15 ft^3 box that I built.
Its ok, but distorts @ higher volume levels (Its only rated for 300 watts rms).
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
Personally I would keep that Infinity 1230w. Did you set your gain properly? It should be able to handle 400watts rms fine and sound damn good in a sealed enclosure.
Is it inverted vertically?
studum 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2006 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not positive what you mean by "vertically" but I have the sub positioned with the magnet on the exterior of the box, facing towards the rear of the trunk. I thought it sounded better this way than with the sub inside the box.
studum 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2006 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
What about running a single 10" or 12" L5??? Anyone run these in a sealed enclosure?
luckydevil 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2006 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
How did you set your gain?
studum 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2006 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

Flat EQ, sub crossover on deck at 125, sub volume on deck at 0 (goes from -6 to +6). subsonic on amp set to 10-15 Hz (can't remember), low pass on amp up all the way. Used familiar cd (Fuel) and turned up volme to normal loud listening volume level then increased gain on the amp until I liked the volume level in relation to my interior speakers.

The sub was new when I put it in though. Does this have anything to do with it? (I got a stupid price on it and thought it would get me by). How long is a normal break-in period?

luckydevil 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2006 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
You need to set your gain using a test tone.
Do a search for "gain" on here and there is tons of info on how to properly set your gain.
Once your gain is set correctly that Inifinity sub should sound very good and you may just want to save some money and keep it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic