icon

Component speakers in doors or kicks?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

I'm currently torn between building a set of fiberglass kickpanels in my bmw 318is, or mounting the woofer in the factory location (the kickpanel) and the tweeter in the door or some other place. The speakers I'm using are 6.5" Boston Acoustics components.

If i use the factory location for the speakers I'd have to use a custom baffle to make the 6.5" woofers fit in the 5.25" opening. Where should I mount the tweeter if the woofer is low in the kickpanel though?

The things I'm worried about building fiberglass kickpanels is if I can do them properly and what to cover them with. I also don't want my midbass to suffer too much. Can anyone tell me if it's worth it to build these (is imaging improved at all)?

Please help me decide!

Here is a pic (factory):

Component speakers in doors or kicks? -- posted image.

thanks

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  

I believe there was a top competitor in IASCA who had a 3 series, unfortunately I don't remeber how his front stage was setup. If I remeber correctly there isn't a whole lot of space where the factory mid goes, so some of fabrication will be necessary.

Here you go, an award winning 3 series.

coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
... what kinda award did that car win?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

coppellstereo wrote:
... what kinda award did that car win?

It lists the awards here

03', 04', 05' IASCA World Champion 601+ , 05' USACI World champion

And have a look at Mic Wallace's 3 series, another winner

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
I'll bet that car sounded awsome....horns and an 8 up front, Jeeze. Properly tuned...nothin sounds better. In my opinion, of course!
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2006 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
custom:
Here's my advice. Try to fabricate the kick panel for a 6.5" speaker. Buy cheapo fleece and a large can of fiberglass resin, it won't cost much. See if you like the sound. If you do, great, sand and finish it up all pretty. If you don't, oh well, you're out $20. Make a little baffle from a scap of MDF and throw the speakers in the door.
If you need to put the speakers in the door, just try to keep the tweet as close to the speaker as possible and aim them at the ears as much as possible.
(Or put the tweeter at a different location and try to correct with digital correction).
Good luck!
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic