icon

Speaker Wire!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2006 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
I found this interactive speaker wire selection calculator.
http://www.streetwires.com/Flash/speakerwire.html
According to this, you will loose 189 watts of power if you use ordinary 16 AWG speaker cable 12 feet @ 500 Watts. If you use Streetwires 16 AWG, you will only loose 100 watts. Wow!! must be magic oxygen free, spiril twist, radiation proof, siver and gold plated copper from the core of Mars.
Guess I understand where people get some of their crazy ideas after seeing this.
mobilesndfx 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Where are you getting loosing power from? Loosing 100 watts using Streetwires versus loosing 189 watts using no name wire? I agree theres probably going to be no audible difference between brands of the same gauge. On the other hand running 18 gauge speaker wire from a 1000 watt amp versus 12 gauge wire will make a difference. I think thats probably the main objective from that calculator.
Alpine 9835, MB Quart components, (3) JL Audio 10w3v2, JL Audio 500/1, JL Audio 300/4, Streetwires wiring
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2006 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
The main objective of that calculator is to sell Streetwire brand products.  Use THIS calculator, it's much better.
Support the12volt.com
mobilesndfx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2006 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
I agree 100% That wasnt my reasoning behind the post, I was trying to figure out the LOOSE POWER about the original post. You ONLY LOOSE 100 WATTS using Streetwires, is what I was commenting about.
Alpine 9835, MB Quart components, (3) JL Audio 10w3v2, JL Audio 500/1, JL Audio 300/4, Streetwires wiring
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2006 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
Then it's NOT 16 gauge wire... 16 gauge wire is 16 gauge wire, is 16 gauge wire... the resistance will be the same, unless it's silver, and even then it will be only a 5% improvement in conductivity.
Street Wires, Monster, Kimber... All snake oil salesmen, praying to the almighty dollar, all the while sniffing out the weakest minded of us all, to sell the stuff to them.
Ah, the power of suggestive advertising...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
mobilesndfx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2006 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
audiocableguy wrote:
I found this interactive speaker wire selection calculator.
http://www.streetwires.com/Flash/speakerwire.html
According to this, you will loose 189 watts of power if you use ordinary 16 AWG speaker cable 12 feet @ 500 Watts. If you use Streetwires 16 AWG, you will only loose 100 watts. Wow!! must be magic oxygen free, spiril twist, radiation proof, siver and gold plated copper from the core of Mars.
Guess I understand where people get some of their crazy ideas after seeing this.
Im about to give up!! Is everyone reading this post blind? Like I said " The same gauge speaker wire, NO MATTER what brand will produce the same results! My comment was " If you use Streetwires 16AWG, you will only loose 100 watts" How do you loose 100 watts? Thats my comment, not comparing wire gauge vs wire gauge!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 16, 2006 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  

audiocableguy, I didn't see such a large drop in power using that Flash demo as you did (with the numbers you used).  However, it is still pretty far off reality.

In comparing to this good Flash demo,

• the Streetwires demo shows a difference in loss of 100 watts using total of 600 watts amp power with 16 feet of speaker wire...with 16 ga. wire as compared with 12 ga.wire.
  • the h.o.alt demo shows only a loss of 40 watts with the same figures.  I used a load impedance of 2 ohms for this comparison.

The power loss is indicated using full power as criteria and calculating voltage drop along the length of wire.  It is interesting to note that the voltage drop and subsequent loss of 40 watts of power to the speaker is much less than 1 db, which is inaudible.

The big problems with that Streetwires demo are that the impedance of the load is not accounted for, and the tiny dials in that calculator are not accurate.  Knowing the impedance is necessary because of the differences in current going through the wire at different loads on the amp (Ohm's Law).  That demo could be used for a complete novice in a retail environment but is not of any good use to anyone who knows a little about what's going on.

Ahh, but here is something interesting:  using the BCAE calculator that DYohn linked to (which corresponds very closely with the h.o alt calculator), there is a tiny warning that appears at the bottom of the calculator that "there is too much loss"...until you get up to 12 ga. wire for this scenario!  Even when you try much shorter lengths of speaker wire!  The criteria, it appears, is that there are too few circular mils of wire per amp (cm/A).

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2006 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  

mobilesndfx wrote:
[Im about to give up!! Is everyone reading this post blind? !

Dude, chill out.  No one is arguing with you!

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic